Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Is The "Precise Pangolin"

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    They lost the opportunity to name an Ubuntu release as something like "Powerful Penguin".
    I think that Ubuntu sometimes forgets that they are Linux.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Is The "Precise Pangolin"

    Mark Shuttleworth has just revealed that the codename for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Linux release is the "Precise Pangolin", which will succeed the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" version...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk3MA
    I am surprised that they did not decide on Precise Penguin.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandoc1 View Post
    They lost the opportunity to name an Ubuntu release as something like "Powerful Penguin".
    I think that Ubuntu sometimes forgets that they are Linux.
    Sometimes?

    BTW, they seem to forget that they're GNU/Linux even more often.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Sometimes?

    BTW, they seem to forget that they're GNU/Linux even more often.
    better to use plain distro names ie fedora ubuntu than the whole gnu/linux etc

    like it or not Linux has been enstablished as the name and if someone was pedantic it should have been named Ubuntu GNU/Linux/Xorg/Unity/with Gnome apps/etc/etc

    its plain down stupid, pointless and matters only to people with RMS mentality

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Ugh, I hate this. It would be okay if they just used it as kind of an informal thing like Fedora does, but the fact that the repos are named after the codename is pretty inconvenient.

    Fedora and Ubuntu both pride themselves on off-the-wall codenames, but Fedora's technical guts never refers to the release by the codename, always by the release number (which is more concise and precise than a name, especially since Ubuntu's releases always have two names, doubling the confusion -- wait, was that repo named oneiric or ocelot?).

    Oh well, I'm glad I switched away from Ubuntu. I still have to run it in VMs for testing and to provide binaries of software I maintain, but never again will I run it on a production machine I intend to use to get things done. I've been Ubuntu-free for nearly 2 years. Embarrassingly, I still have the Ubuntu sticker on the back of my laptop lid, even though I'm currently running Scientific Linux 6.
    This is exactly my issue. You have two codenames, and they are used on the inside of the system -- mostly when dealing with package management.
    And remember, it's not the animal part it is used. It is the strange prefixes...

    I at least find version numbers very easy to remember because they are dates, and always 6 months apart for the last years.
    So if I saw "this package is for 11.04" I would know that it works on my laptop, and if I saw "this package is for 10.04 LTS" I would know it works on my server.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Well, I feel awesome. I first suggested the pangolin about...a year and a half ago? First time it was mentioned. Looking at the naming wiki, someone didn't like my adjective (even if "precarious" is more descriptive of Ubuntu's X.04 releases), but oh well.

    I'm going to just go ahead and claim this as a victory in the name of Gentoo.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandoc1 View Post
    They lost the opportunity to name an Ubuntu release as something like "Powerful Penguin".
    I think that Ubuntu sometimes forgets that they are Linux.
    That much has been obvious since they deleted most of the references to Linux from their site and started advertising Microsoft Skype.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Well, I feel awesome. I first suggested the pangolin about...a year and a half ago? First time it was mentioned. Looking at the naming wiki, someone didn't like my adjective (even if "precarious" is more descriptive of Ubuntu's X.04 releases), but oh well.
    Of the three releases before this LTS the last LTS was the least precarious of any of them... which was 10.04. Precarious is more descriptive of the non-LTS releases.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    It's a shame that Porky Pig is probably a trademark. Nobody would have forgotten that one.

  10. #20

    Default

    I'm sorry, but I don't like Pangolins. Even if there are precise.

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Ugh, I hate this. It would be okay if they just used it as kind of an informal thing like Fedora does, but the fact that the repos are named after the codename is pretty inconvenient. Fedora and Ubuntu both pride themselves on off-the-wall codenames, but Fedora's technical guts never refers to the release by the codename, always by the release number (which is more concise and precise than a name, especially since Ubuntu's releases always have two names, doubling the confusion
    Who's confused? Desktop users? Under normal circumstances they never see the codename.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •