Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases FX-Series Bulldozer Desktop CPUs

Default AMD Releases FX-Series Bulldozer Desktop CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Releases FX-Series Bulldozer Desktop CPUs

AMD has finally lifted the lid on their new FX-Series "Bulldozer" desktop CPUs, but how well do they work under Linux?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk5OA

Ranting about not receiving samples in your articles probably doesn't help much (but yes they should be supplying you)

Are these APUs?

Default maybe it will do better in Linux

Given how sad the Bulldozer performed under Windows maybe it will do better in Linux.
    AMD has no excuse for not providing Phoronix with some samples to test , it's probably the only serious website to do any testing under Linux.
    Did you ever try getting in touch with someone at AMD to ask why you're not getting any AMD cpus for review at Phoronix ?

Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Ranting about not receiving samples in your articles probably doesn't help much (but yes they should be supplying you)

Are these APUs?
    I'm upset that Michael didn't receive any samples to test. I opened Phoronix today hoping to see how the new chip does under Linux , with all that Windows testing it would have been nice to see.
    So I think the "ranting" is perfectly normal.
    And to answer your question , no , these chips have no graphics inside whatsoever.

Bulldozer-based APUs are rumored to launch early/mid 2012; the code name is "Trinity".

edit: benchmarks I've seen so far say that single-threaded performance is crap. Phenom II is beating it.
    Last edited by Ex-Cyber; 10-12-2011 at 08:13 AM.

I've fired off an email this morning to the two new AMD CPU contacts asking about Linux tests.... Waiting for response :/ Otherwise I'm hoping I can get remote SSH access from a third party this week to an FX system, but that's less than ideal when not having the same other system components here so that I can conduct a direct/fair comparison.

Taking a look at the numbers I wish they just launched some AM3+ Phenom II x4 and x6 ... manufactured in 32 nm this could actually be better than Bulldozer. It's sad because the Phenom II is very old stuff but that's the way it is.
    AMD screwed up big time and they should do their best to fix it. Intel did the same with the P4 way back but they could afford to, I'm not sure AMD can. And when they did fix it they came up with something that's very good , the Core CPUs.

I'm planning to get one of those. Can anyone recommend a good AM3+ board (i.e. with fully supported onboard-audio) for Linux? Right now I have an Asus Striker Extreme (plz don't ask me why ), which actually works fine, but I always have some sound issues :/

Quote Originally Posted by alexThunder View Post
    I'm planning to get one of those. Can anyone recommend a good AM3+ board (i.e. with fully supported onboard-audio) for Linux? Right now I have an Asus Striker Extreme (plz don't ask me why ), which actually works fine, but I always have some sound issues :/
    Alex I'd sugest not to worry about onboard audio too much. I just got a Creative X-fi for like 20 pounds ... that's probably about 30 $. You can also get some Asus Xonar cards for about 30-40 $. Both X-fi ( first gen ) and Asus Xonar should be well supported under Linux as far as I know.
    Just slap those on and never bother with the onboard stuff which is usually crappy.

Michael, those AMD contact people are probably too busy containing the "launch" . You should phone them maybe if you can. People tend to ignore/ overlook mails.

here's a summary: http://www.techpowerup.com/153452/Re...rwhelming.html

not worth the upgrade price yet, maybe if price drops below an i5 2500K