Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: FreeBSD 9.0 Is Now Planned For November

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,387

    Default FreeBSD 9.0 Is Now Planned For November

    Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.0 Is Now Planned For November

    After being challenged by some delays, FreeBSD 9.0 is now planned for an official release in November...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk4Ng

  2. #2

    Default

    FreeBSD is released when its ready, it has always been that way, schedules always slipped away in time, they are a lot too much optimistic, but as I said, developers do not focus too much on the the 'announced release dates' and focus on making it reliable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
    FreeBSD is released when its ready, it has always been that way, schedules always slipped away in time, they are a lot too much optimistic, but as I said, developers do not focus too much on the the 'announced release dates' and focus on making it reliable.
    I hope 8.2-stable will be long time supported. It just works perfect at the moment and I dare to upgrade

    p.s. after all it's just a different number, most of the new stuff is backported to older version. Especially hardware support?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    I hope 8.2-stable will be long time supported. It just works perfect at the moment and I dare to upgrade
    I also currently stick to 8.2-stable, indeed works like a charm.

    Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    p.s. after all it's just a different number, most of the new stuff is backported to older version. Especially hardware support?
    Its happening already, even for 7-STABLE, check this for commits: http://freshbsd.org/search?project=freebsd

    Hint: MFC means Merged From Current, and these features are 'backported' to various FreeBSD trees from HEAD, to RELENG_9, RELENG_8 and RELENG_7 currently.

    It also depends what features are added to HEAD, KMS/GEM is quite a big change and there is a chance that it will not be backported to 8.x and lower, but at the same time ZFS v28 had been backported to 8.2-STABLE some time ago, so Yes, features and fixes are backported to 'older' trees.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •