Thread: fglrx 8.41+8.42 display corrupted

Default fglrx 8.41+8.42 display corrupted

ummm ok so i have a radeon x550 256mb card, and i have a small display corruption at the buttom right part of the screen appearing as 2 lines a few minutes after i start my x server, one blocking my view of the clock and one just a bit over it, and they just stay there and i close it.
    i started getting these corruptions since i installed the fglrx 8.41 driver on ubuntu 7.04 using its packaging scripts, but i knew that my card was not supported on that release, so i waited for the 8.42 and installed it on my slackware 12, and now it does the same thing - so its not the window manager (ubuntu had gnome, slack uses kde) and its not due to my compiz tryouts because it just appears on normal sessions as well.
    i dont want no magic cure for this (mostly because i dont think there is one), but i do want to know if this is a common problem and if it was brought to amd's attention or not. other than this im only having the fglrx problems most people are having, so im good

*wanted to post a picture but weirdly enough using ksnapshot on the whole screen or just the region doesnt show these curroptions, so i guess they're on the video-card level and not the x server level.

I have the same problem on my xpress 200M/1100M with 8.42. Only I also get display corruption around the mouse sometimes, but this disappears after moving over an area that changes the mouse-icon. It is really irritating.

Haven't had it in KDE4, which is quite strange. Maybe it has something to do with Qt3 and fglrx?

yup i forgot to mention the mouse corruption i also get that the same way you described.
    havent tried kde4 yet, dont think i will until the stable version will be released

Default Re: screen corruption

That screen corruption you are seeing is an extension of the Watermark issues that flgrx sometimes has. I too was experiencing this until I added the following to my xorg.conf in the device section:
    Code:
            Option          "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option          "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option          "HWCursor" "On"
            Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
            Option          "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
            Option          "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    From what I can tell it might be fixed from just the Kernel Module Parameter one.

I had all that on except for XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, and it's definitely not the kernelmodule parameter.

I'll be trying XAANoOffscreenPixmaps now, and I will see how it goes.

Perhaps it is a combination of those? Since adding those lines, I have not experienced the problem.

its this "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true" that makes that go away.
    i've had this work on my x200m, and on other people boards. the problem is that if you're using compiz/beryl you have to switch from pixmap texture to copy texture or it won't function correctly.

I also enabled XAANoOfscreenPixmaps now, and I haven't seen the corruption since. Thanks! I surely hope AMD fixes the problems with 8.43.

actually i only added the KernelModuleParm line like Shae suggested and it did the trick.
    there is no XAANoOffscreenPixmaps line on my xorg.conf

edit: ok after a few hours the corruptions did appear (used to take only a few minutes), so im gonna add the XAANoOffscreenPixmaps line and comment the KernelModuleParm one and see how things go.
    so.. anyone has a rough explanation of why this happens?
    Last edited by kuzco; 11-03-2007 at 08:40 PM.

That screen corruption you are seeing is an extension of the Watermark issues that flgrx sometimes has
    for what i know of it, it's an issue that never got fixed and that gets new features as the driver goes on.