Thread: Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

Default Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

Phoronix: Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

Tom Stellard, the former Google Summer of Code student who worked on ATI R300 GLSL compiler improvements and a new register allocator, has been looking into the area of Radeon OpenCL support while now being employed by AMD. However, Tom is working on other open-source Radeon work too. Recently he made improvements to the R300g driver's instruction scheduler to make better use of the texture semaphore.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16504

I was waiting for this benchmark. The results are great!

Texture semaphore is something specific to R500 or it could be used too in R600+ GPUs?

You can find X1950XTXs for $40 these days, they where the fastest GPUs in the R500 compatible family

http://www.amazon.com/GeCube-Radeon-...8316607&sr=8-3

Here it is against the HD4890, the best supported high performance card in the R600 line http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=442&card2=608

I'd have pitted it against the X1800, but Michael, in his usual half assed ways neglected to list which of the 4 versions of the X1800 he actually has both here and on OpenBenchmarking, thus I have to make a quarter assed bitch post.

So which is it Michael, the lowly X1800GTO or the full enchrido X1800XT/Crossfire? Either way it's still easily trounced by the X1950XTX, which should be good enough for anything not based on Unigine if the drivers continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    You can find X1950XTXs for $40 these days, they where the fastest GPUs in the R500 compatible family
    Yeah, I bought one too

EDIT: where is my sign? O_O
    Last edited by darkbasic; 10-11-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    I'd have pitted it against the X1800, but Michael, in his usual half assed ways neglected to list which of the 4 versions of the X1800 he actually has both here and on OpenBenchmarking, thus I have to make a quarter assed bitch post..
    If you read the article, I clearly mention it.... (hint: bottom of first page right below the table.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you read the article, I clearly mention it.... (hint: bottom of first page right below the table.)
    Additionally, the list is entirely auto-generated and it's the ATI video BIOS that only exposes the 'X1800' portion and not the complete string.

How ironic, victim of your own edit limit

Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    How ironic, victim of your own edit limit
    No, not at all. I still could have edited it and as the admin I have full edit rights to any post at all, but I simply felt like replying to save time.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
    Texture semaphore is something specific to R500 or it could be used too in R600+ GPUs?
    It's part of the r5xx fragment shader ISA so it's specific to r5xx hardware.

Ok thanks.