Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,780

    Default Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

    Phoronix: Mesa R500 Texture Semaphore Improvements

    Tom Stellard, the former Google Summer of Code student who worked on ATI R300 GLSL compiler improvements and a new register allocator, has been looking into the area of Radeon OpenCL support while now being employed by AMD. However, Tom is working on other open-source Radeon work too. Recently he made improvements to the R300g driver's instruction scheduler to make better use of the texture semaphore.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16504

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I was waiting for this benchmark. The results are great!

    Texture semaphore is something specific to R500 or it could be used too in R600+ GPUs?

  3. #3

    Default

    You can find X1950XTXs for $40 these days, they where the fastest GPUs in the R500 compatible family

    http://www.amazon.com/GeCube-Radeon-...8316607&sr=8-3

    Here it is against the HD4890, the best supported high performance card in the R600 line http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=442&card2=608

    I'd have pitted it against the X1800, but Michael, in his usual half assed ways neglected to list which of the 4 versions of the X1800 he actually has both here and on OpenBenchmarking, thus I have to make a quarter assed bitch post.

    So which is it Michael, the lowly X1800GTO or the full enchrido X1800XT/Crossfire? Either way it's still easily trounced by the X1950XTX, which should be good enough for anything not based on Unigine if the drivers continue to improve.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    You can find X1950XTXs for $40 these days, they where the fastest GPUs in the R500 compatible family
    Yeah, I bought one too


    EDIT: where is my sign? O_O
    Last edited by darkbasic; 10-11-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    I'd have pitted it against the X1800, but Michael, in his usual half assed ways neglected to list which of the 4 versions of the X1800 he actually has both here and on OpenBenchmarking, thus I have to make a quarter assed bitch post..
    If you read the article, I clearly mention it.... (hint: bottom of first page right below the table.)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you read the article, I clearly mention it.... (hint: bottom of first page right below the table.)
    Additionally, the list is entirely auto-generated and it's the ATI video BIOS that only exposes the 'X1800' portion and not the complete string.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    311

    Default

    How ironic, victim of your own edit limit

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    How ironic, victim of your own edit limit
    No, not at all. I still could have edited it and as the admin I have full edit rights to any post at all, but I simply felt like replying to save time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
    Texture semaphore is something specific to R500 or it could be used too in R600+ GPUs?
    It's part of the r5xx fragment shader ISA so it's specific to r5xx hardware.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Ok thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •