Thread: Caveats In The Ubuntu 11.10 Graphics Stack

Hybrid View

Default Caveats In The Ubuntu 11.10 Graphics Stack

Phoronix: Caveats In The Ubuntu 11.10 Graphics Stack

While there are many improvements to the graphics drivers in Ubuntu 11.10 and its shipping with the latest stable driver components, there are a few caveats to point out that I've come across during last minute tests this week...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwMDc

Default LOL

"... the self-generating FUC support for Nouveau."

I've always considered Nouveau the most FUC'd thing in recent Linux kernels, and now I know it is true!

Just a note for anyone thinking of using xorg-edgers, doing so will mean you can't use Unity 3D, because xorg-edgers doesnt package the gesture/multitouch (utouch) in their x server package, because it's ubuntu specific.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/860707

The included Catalyst 11.8 driver in Ubuntu 11.10 runs great with my Radeon HD 6870.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    The included Catalyst 11.8 driver in Ubuntu 11.10 runs great with my Radeon HD 6870.
    That's good to know. I've got a 6850, and I'm in the middle of upgrading right now. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to up/downgrade the driver myself in order to get work done tomorrow

The post release driver won't install for me. It errors. The release driver does install, but causes corruptions in gnome shell and severely decreased 2D performance under unity and gnome shell. The default drivers have worked best for me so far. The stupid thing is though, that uninstalling the proprietary drivers won't return you to the default drivers, but some kind of minimal VESA driver. When you've uninstalled the proprietary driver you can only use the fallbacks for unity and gnome shell :S Had to reinstall ubuntu to get shit fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Lynden View Post
    Just a note for anyone thinking of using xorg-edgers, doing so will mean you can't use Unity 3D, because xorg-edgers doesnt package the gesture/multitouch (utouch) in their x server package, because it's ubuntu specific.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/860707
    My PPA provides updates to graphics drivers without touching x server so it can be safely used without that problem.