Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Ports Open-Source Linux Driver To Windows Embedded

I think some people are forgetting the goal of the embedded driver and those of catalyst are different... a 90Mb driver is probably not acceptable for an embedded system so it was probably easier to just use the smaller and nearly as proformant mesa driver with a few modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    When it comes to efi boot for macs then it does not work
    You can thank apple for that. That said, Matthew Garret has mostly sorted out the efi issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Why do you say the driver will be closed source ?

Nope. This is a fairly recent project, conceived and started years after we got back into supporting open source graphics drivers, and the request was for a driver that could be released in source code form.
    Going 100% the open source route without any proprietary sauce means your windows embedded driver won't support UVD, just like the open source Linux driver. I find it hard to believe that you will also leave your windows embedded customers with a crippled driver and device. Unless of course you are developing this driver for a specific device or set of devices that won't require UVD, doubtful though IMO.

Being an embedded device I wouldnt be at all surprised if it consisted of nothing more than 1 or 2 heads and a small compute core like maybe 40 spu's.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Why do you say the driver will be closed source ?

Nope. This is a fairly recent project, conceived and started years after we got back into supporting open source graphics drivers, and the request was for a driver that could be released in source code form.
    LOL... that was just the automated bite reflex ... yes thank you good point I'm happy to watch these results.

i think porting the radeon driver to windows is a good idea and i think this for years and if someone read my old phoronix posts i write this in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    so why dont write a complete win/reactos driver
    RectOS driver wow good idea i like it

i hope that with this new project the linux driver will get better OGL support and principally better consumption and memory management!

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Going 100% the open source route without any proprietary sauce means your windows embedded driver won't support UVD, just like the open source Linux driver. I find it hard to believe that you will also leave your windows embedded customers with a crippled driver and device. Unless of course you are developing this driver for a specific device or set of devices that won't require UVD, doubtful though IMO.
    amd do have video acceleration on the GPU with the radeon driver in the pipeline.

embedded customers are sometimes special maybe they want WebM and the UVD unit can not handle WebM but the shader based radeon solution can handle WebM.

"...such as some retail systems, medical devices,..."
    Ya sure, just what I want, Windows* on a Life-Support system... no thx.

BTW I stopped being the most prolific poster shortly after Michael raised the edit time limit enough that I didn't have to edit by deleting and re-posting