Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Ports Open-Source Linux Driver To Windows Embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    I'm sure the GPL whiners are quite happy that the driver will be closed-source due to the permissible MIT license.
    The good thing about this particular situation is that there is very little reason to believe that AMD has any interest in closing the driver and adding secret sauce to it.

Hopefully this means more manpower working on the driver, which could translate to useful code that can make its way into Mesa/Gallium drivers.

The fact is that nothing stops AMD to add support for UVD, and close the driver because of this.
    Maybe Bridgman, should say clearly what is AMD intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    The fact is that nothing stops AMD to add support for UVD, and close the driver because of this.
    Well, except the fact that they have to write a UVD driver from scratch. Because they can't just use the Catalyst code, the drivers are probably way too different, and it would likely be easier to write something new using the Catalyst code as a reference.

And if that is written, then it all depends on the internal review. If they get the green light, they can open source it and add it to the Linux drivers at any tie. So I don't see the Linux driver losing anything because of this.

Has anybody considered the possibility that the reason it may be easier to use the OSS driver than catalyst is due to CPU ARCHITECTURE? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't catalyst x86-only?

The main reason for basing this driver on the open source stack was that we wanted to be able to release the new driver in source code form.

Given that constraint, leveraging the existing open source code (rather than trying to sanitize a bazillion lines of Catalyst code) was kind of a no-brainer.

Thoughts:

Reasons to use the Radeon driver for embedded windows.

1: No need to pay per-unit licensing on catalyst (cheaper for AMD)
    2: No need to port catalyst to additional architectures
    3: Much like #2, OSS driver is easier to port to 'funky' devices. An example of this would be a device with a non-rectangular display.
    4: OEM access to source enables OEM contribution and rapid prototyping.
    5: Less paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    i hope that with this new project the linux driver will get better OGL support and principally better consumption and memory management!
    I don't see why would it be that way. You know they're not required to open source their development.
    Anyway, Radeon still loses nothing, and MAY gain something in exchange.
    Last edited by mrugiero; 10-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.

The embedded team hired 2 more developers (Tom and Christian) to help extend the upstream open source driver so the intent is certainly for this to be an overall win.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The embedded team hired 2 more developers (Tom and Christian) to help extend the upstream open source driver so the intent is certainly for this to be an overall win.
    Well, I need to read better then.

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    Thoughts:

Reasons to use the Radeon driver for embedded windows.

1: No need to pay per-unit licensing on catalyst (cheaper for AMD)
    2: No need to port catalyst to additional architectures
    3: Much like #2, OSS driver is easier to port to 'funky' devices. An example of this would be a device with a non-rectangular display.
    4: OEM access to source enables OEM contribution and rapid prototyping.
    5: Less paperwork.
    yes very nice improvements.