Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No HDMI sound after upgrade to Kubuntu 11.10 with my hd4770

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

after sudo update-grub2
    workssssssssssssss

thanks

why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?

i dont use catalyst, ati free. I have 785g (radeon hd 4200) and hdmi work good with this grub patch.

Quote Originally Posted by ooHe0Eejem1 View Post
    why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?
    its not a magic autodetect its a DRM UVD shit some displays force you to use this shit.

Default No HDMI sound on ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Hello,

I'm on Arch Linux 64bit and use the open source radeon driver.

Unfortunately I switched to the latest kernel *and* from proprietary catalyst driver to open source radeon driver, so I can't say whether it worked before the new kernel with the open source driver.

lspci recognises the audio as
    Code:
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
    and I enabled radeon.audio=1 in menu.lst
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/f16ef16a-2e5c-4725-97e0-9ae1f947c86f ro radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.audio=1
    but I can't play back audio. When I try, the audio software plays back at incredible speed and no sound is there. mplayer, vlc, audacity, paplay, aplay, speaker-test all show the same behavior.
    pavucontrol however indicates a level change in the audio volume.

My card is an Evergreen model and http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature indicates that HDMI audio is not supported for them. Although shouldn't lspci not be able to see it then?

No, lspci devices always appear regardless of the driver used. The HDMI audio is just detected as a seperate chip, which also needs a driver to be loaded. It seems like Juniper HDMI Audio is not yet supported by snd-hda-intel.

I'm currently experiencing the exact same as `qubodup`. I did add `radeon.audio=1` and ran update-grub, but it still doesn't work. Furthermore, audio plays at incredible speed (like qubodup reported).

Is there a know fix for this behaviour?