Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: No HDMI sound after upgrade to Kubuntu 11.10 with my hd4770

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default No HDMI sound after upgrade to Kubuntu 11.10 with my hd4770

    hi i upgrade today from 11.04 to 11.10 and i now use the radeon driver again..

    but the sound do not work?

    any proposals ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,673

    Default

    most likely you had a "radeon.audio=1" setting in /etc/default/grub - if you change it run update-grub later and reboot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    most likely you had a "radeon.audio=1" setting in /etc/default/grub - if you change it run update-grub later and reboot.
    sorry i can't find the option "radeon.audio=1" in /etc/default/grub ??

    this are the only options in this file:

    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

    should i put the option in this file???

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    sorry i can't find the option "radeon.audio=1" in /etc/default/grub ??

    this are the only options in this file:

    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

    should i put the option in this file???
    It's a module option, not a grub option. I'm not too familiar with grub2, but I think you would add it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. e.g.,

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    It's a module option, not a grub option. I'm not too familiar with grub2, but I think you would add it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. e.g.,

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
    and because why is this not the default?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    and because why is this not the default?
    It causes blank screens with some monitors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    It causes blank screens with some monitors.
    why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

    in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

    maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

    in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

    maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?
    The original audio code was reverse engineered and doesn't quite get everything correct. Improved hdmi audio code is currently under IP review.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The original audio code was reverse engineered and doesn't quite get everything correct. Improved hdmi audio code is currently under IP review.
    very nice thank you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I realize this is for AMD/ATI and I am running Intel/Nvida, but is the principle the same for Nvida cards? I can't get any sound though HDMI with my GTX 550M.

    What would I need to write in place of Radeon?
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •