Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE Rekonq Browser Picks Up Many Features

Default KDE Rekonq Browser Picks Up Many Features

Phoronix: KDE Rekonq Browser Picks Up Many Features

KDE Rekonq, the lightweight KDE web-browser that's a vastly different beast than Konqueror, is now up to version 0.8 stable with several new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwMTM

If you prefer a lightweight webkitgtk browser, there is also Midori, which is good, but would greatly benefit from more testing.

I have tried rekonq a number of times in the past (last version 0.7) but it crashes on just way too many sites. More features is nice, but I hope they also focussed on stability in this new release. Lots of crashes also means it's likely to be exploitable..

I'd like to switch though, it's blazingly fast!

Default rekonq randomly starts LibreOffice

I like rekonq but since I updated to Kubuntu 11.10 rekonq randomly starts LibreOffice when visiting some sites. It does not display a document, it just starts the generic LibreOffice application. This is so annoying that I switched to Chrome for now.

I think a lot of the crashes were due to the old Webkit version that was shipped with Qt 4.7. I have been using QtWebkit 2.2 and have not seen a crash in a long time (except when I intentionally quit the program, that often leads to a crash).

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    I like rekonq but since I updated to Kubuntu 11.10 rekonq randomly starts LibreOffice when visiting some sites. It does not display a document, it just starts the generic LibreOffice application. This is so annoying that I switched to Chrome for now.
    Yes that's what happens to me as well, also with it crashing soon after opening LO. Rekonq still needs a LOT of work before it can be prime time. Also these crashes can be exploitable by carefully crafted websites so this is also a security concern as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Yes that's what happens to me as well, also with it crashing soon after opening LO. Rekonq still needs a LOT of work before it can be prime time. Also these crashes can be exploitable by carefully crafted websites so this is also a security concern as well.
    As TheBlackCat already explained, crashes are results of outdated QtWebKit versions.
    Rekonq does not ship its own rendering engine. It's just a GUI on top of Qt's WebKit implementation, just as Midori and Epiphany are GUIs for WebKit-GTK.

PS: At least under openSUSE QtWebKit often crashes when leaving pages with Flash content. As far as I'm aware this is an oS-specific problem and again nothing the rekonq devs can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Temar View Post
    Please link to the bug report. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
    Please link to the bug report. Thanks!
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=281988