Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: Drafting Plans For X12, The X11 Successor

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    This hole thing was never about you and your X-based business model You're creating your own problem here...

    The fact, not some 'opinion', the fact is that X11 is so old now, that it is being replaced in its own refference implementation.

    It may shock you, but in a year or so Windows 8 will be released. That will seriously set the tone for real-life tablet use. Now what would you be saying if a customer of yours wants your program/service/whatever it may be, running on his touch-based Windows 8 tablet? How "happy" is he going to be once you tell him that it's impossible.

    Anyone else knowing how Xlib works? No. The entire point of toolkits like GTK+ and Qt is to abstract the horror. Even the X.org developpers have created XCB, because Xlib is such a freaking pain in the ass.

    Now... Do you still think that I cannot like X12 or that I even remotely care about someone else's business?
    Yes, this is about X and about whether it works or doesn't. I say it does. You say it doesn't.

    I know all about Windows 8 and its 'new' tiled interface. Well, I have news for you; I created a tiled touchscreen interface, a touchscreen widget toolkit, and a suite of applications built on it, 25 years ago. Today virtually everybody on the planet uses interfaces descended from, copied from, and directly influenced by it. And it has been available on tablets for ten years. So again, don't presume to take that silly pedantic tone with me.

    None of my customers knows how Xlib works. The GUI relieves them of having to know anything about the complexity of it all. To presume that you are going to teach me anything about the roll of GUI abstraction is very childish of you. If you are 25 or younger I had already laid down the foundations for much of that before you were even born. Don't bore me with nonsense about the Windows 8 GUI, please. Get back on topic, if you can.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Hurray for the X developers. This is the proper way to advance, setting requirements, looking at user needs, backwards compatibility, discussion of options and new features, and most of all planning. It is way much better than some egotistical impatient douche saying lets ditch core capabilities for speed and have no solutions in mind to replace those capabilities.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Great, now that we know that the Parcpad inventor makes a business for himself using the Xlib and all it's greatness, and that he has also read the anti-foreword by Dennis Ritchie in the Unix haters handbook (Using the prison that has been given to you), we can all praise him and stop this lowly thread that discusses how X12 might replace the horribly outdated X11, which can't even survive without having to hack together a touchscreen translation layer.

    At this point, anyone might wonder why it was a bad idea again, to have widget toolkit being networked, if you could also, also and have to work with Xlib in the proces...

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Great, now that we know that the Parcpad inventor makes a business for himself using the Xlib and all it's greatness, and that he has also read the anti-foreword by Dennis Ritchie in the Unix haters handbook (Using the prison that has been given to you), we can all praise him and stop this lowly thread that discusses how X12 might replace the horribly outdated X11, which can't even survive without having to hack together a touchscreen translation layer.

    At this point, anyone might wonder why it was a bad idea again, to have widget toolkit being networked, if you could also, also and have to work with Xlib in the proces...
    You don't have any idea who I am and I am certainly done here with you because you offer nothing to even discuss.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Remote User,

    Don't let Vincent get to you. He is just a hack that believes in building a house on a foundation of sand is a good thing because you get out of the rain quicker.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
    Remote User,

    Don't let Vincent get to you. He is just a hack that believes in building a house on a foundation of sand is a good thing because you get out of the rain quicker.
    Well luckily the Samsung sponsored Enlightenment project agrees with me and uses XCB.

    That might ofcourse be to benifit of Samsung, for their real-life needs.

    Ofcourse they should have listened to you and Remote User, who want to build a house on top of an iceberg that is melting away. That may sound rediculous, but not if you build in floating capabilities underneath the iceberg (Xlib) so that one day it will still float there. Because let's be honest, why build this floating capability directly underneath the house? That would simply be rediciouless

    PS: Not to mention Cario, Compiz, Xine and VLC, among others...
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 10-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well luckily the Samsung sponsored Enlightenment project agrees with me and uses XCB.

    That might ofcourse be to benifit of Samsung, for their real-life needs.

    Ofcourse they should have listened to you and Remote User, who want to build a house on top of an iceberg that is melting away. That may sound rediculous, but not if you build in floating capabilities underneath the iceberg (Xlib) so that one day it will still float there. Because let's be honest, why build this floating capability directly underneath the house? That would simply be rediciouless

    PS: Not to mention Cario, Compiz, Xine and VLC, among others...
    You are such a pain in the ass. None of those things existed years ago so I used what was available and created other tools. Today I use all of the tools you mention, plus others such as HTML5 and OpenGL The only thing more useless than your iceberg analogy is your desperation. Can't you even tell when you have a fork stuck in you?

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
    Hurray for the X developers. This is the proper way to advance, setting requirements, looking at user needs, backwards compatibility, discussion of options and new features, and most of all planning. It is way much better than some egotistical impatient douche saying lets ditch core capabilities for speed and have no solutions in mind to replace those capabilities.
    Hurray for the old, slow crap. Wayland is obviously way to go, because X is too problematic and it seems to be obsolete in many things. If users need backward compatibility there's X running on top of Wayland. I don't know who you are, but you sound stupid. I probably don't need half of X capabilities to use my desktop and guess what? X is damn slow.
    Last edited by kraftman; 10-17-2011 at 03:15 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Agreed, but when X on top of Wayland is still needed, why not take X12?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remote User View Post
    You are such a pain in the ass.
    For you, maybe.

    None of those things existed years ago so I used what was available and created other tools.
    Good for you. Why does it matter? Why does what you have used got anything to do with X12? What's your porblem? Fear that X12 threatnens your work? That you have to start over? What's the problem? Even X.org developpers are adding replacement code that bypasses X11. Why would you think that every development work today, regarding X.org, is moving away from X11? Might it not be because X11 is in need of replacement?

    Today I use all of the tools you mention, plus others such as HTML5 and OpenGL. The only thing more useless than your iceberg analogy is your desperation. Can't you even tell when you have a fork stuck in you?
    A fork? Are you Q's alter ego on drugs?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •