Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Postal III On Linux Is Kaput For Now

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,373

    Default Postal III On Linux Is Kaput For Now

    Phoronix: Postal III On Linux Is Kaput For Now

    Last week I received a message from Vince Desi, the founder and CEO of Running With Scissors, concerning the Linux client for the soon-to-be-released Postal III game...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwMjE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default

    so...to make it clear, what Michael want's to say is: There'll be no Rage and no Postal III and no Source version for Linux. Ever. Everything else ist just for deh clickz.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Kaput implies brokenness what might be more accurate is stalled or perhaps vapourware

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    297

    Default

    lolphoronix

    maybe now you will not overhype stuff.
    When it comes to games and phoronix this site is a joke, slightest hint of a linux client (or in quite a few cases over-stretching what rumours were heard) and phoronix peddles it as hard fact and even uses it to justify other past claims

    for the last few years there has been soo many "news articles" or reference dropping to STEAM/SOURCE on linux, RAGE for linux PostalII for linux (with postalIII for linux being used as "evidence that STEAM/SOURCE coming to linux) and what do we have no

    no STEAM, no RAGE, no PostalIII

    just drop speculative reporting on gaming you suck and for 2+ years hopes have been raised. report FACT (yes this is fact, STEAM/SOURCE was never fact)
    to be fair the root-cause of this is probably valve

    STEAM/SOURCE for linux was a massive farce and a stretch of reality from Phoronix. RAGE requires steamworks so to some extent requires STEAM for linux, PostalIII requires SOURCE).


    All comes downto poor reporting and gossip being peddled as fact by phoronix surrounding anything Valve related.

    poor, piss poor

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94

    Default

    To be fair to Phoronix, postal 3 did announce linux support early on, and the steam linux client leak was real. I think the UT3 pullout has really damaged linux as a gaming platform more than any other single event. The exception to that may be Blizzards decision to can the WoW port from being released. Frankly though I can't blame them. Linuxgamepublishing have shown how unprofessional they are with their server outages. Can you imagine if Blizzard had trusted them with World of Warcraft for support. How pissed would they have been with the Linux support site being down for 3-6 months!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naib View Post
    lolphoronix

    (...)

    no STEAM, no RAGE, no PostalIII

    just drop speculative reporting on gaming you suck and for 2+ years hopes have been raised. report FACT (yes this is fact, STEAM/SOURCE was never fact)
    to be fair the root-cause of this is probably valve

    STEAM/SOURCE for linux was a massive farce and a stretch of reality from Phoronix. RAGE requires steamworks so to some extent requires STEAM for linux, PostalIII requires SOURCE).


    All comes downto poor reporting and gossip being peddled as fact by phoronix surrounding anything Valve related.

    poor, piss poor
    Donīt forget Unreal Tournament 3... as I said in the past, Phoronix is the linux equivalent of tabloids. Read this site for some gossip fun because is not worth for anything else.
    Last edited by marakaid; 10-17-2011 at 08:06 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Headline is kaputt.

    Kaput is spelled kaputt with double t. Nevermind but if you use some strange foreign words check out that they are spelled correctly.

    To the other topic with Linux and gaming is, the last time i felt that something was changing was back in the days when quake3test was released on Linux 2 weeks before the windows client. Students knocked my door and asked to help em out installing linux on their machines to play the game. Ahh good old times. But right now i couldn't care less, i enjoy playing rage right now on windows-steam and i will give it a try if they come up with a linux client.

    Greetings.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -gr00ve- View Post
    Kaput is spelled kaputt with double t. Nevermind but if you use some strange foreign words check out that they are spelled correctly.

    To the other topic with Linux and gaming is, the last time i felt that something was changing was back in the days when quake3test was released on Linux 2 weeks before the windows client. Students knocked my door and asked to help em out installing linux on their machines to play the game. Ahh good old times. But right now i couldn't care less, i enjoy playing rage right now on windows-steam and i will give it a try if they come up with a linux client.

    Greetings.
    Actually, kaput has moved its way into English, but drops the second t from the German spelling.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Actually, kaput has moved its way into English, but drops the second t from the German spelling.
    Never would have thought of that option . Thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naib View Post
    ...
    for the last few years there has been soo many "news articles" or reference dropping to STEAM/SOURCE on linux, RAGE for linux PostalII for linux (with postalIII for linux being used as "evidence that STEAM/SOURCE coming to linux) and what do we have no

    no STEAM, no RAGE, no PostalIII
    ...
    report FACT
    ...
    STEAM/SOURCE for linux was a massive farce...

    All comes downto poor reporting and gossip being peddled as fact by phoronix surrounding anything Valve related.
    absolutely +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •