Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Open/Closed Source Games

ETQW is an old hat. QuakeLive is more or less based on the old stuff. Rage is according to what John said himself not going to happen anytime soon on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    ETQW is an old hat. QuakeLive is more or less based on the old stuff. Rage is according to what John said himself not going to happen anytime soon on Linux.
    When did he say that?

This is kind of old: http://games.slashdot.org/comments.p...1&cid=20671657

There is certainly no plans for a commercially supported linux version of Rage, but there will very likely be a linux executable made available. It isn't running at the moment, but we have had it compiled in the past. Running on additional platforms usually provides some code quality advantages, and it really only takes one interested programmer to make it happen.

The PC version is still OpenGL, but it is possible that could change before release. The actual API code is not very large, and the vertex / fragment code can be easily translated between cg/hlsl/glsl as necessary. I am going to at least consider OpenGL 3.0 as a target, if Nvidia, ATI, and Intel all have decent support. There really won't be any performance difference between GL 2.0 / GL 3.0 / D3D, so the api decision will be based on secondary factors, of which inertia is one.

John Carmack
    Rage doesn't even have a release date yet, and this is quote is about two years old, so I don't know.

Nah, the quote I mean has been more recent alongside the tone of tuning Linux support down to a bare minimum. But I don't have that article linked around here. I'm not collecting bad news, I prefer fixing them :P

Favorite open source: einstein
    Favorite closed source: Sacred, Regnum Online

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Forget dosbox, check this Settlers II work out:

http://www.siedler25.org/

Native Linux binary + multiplayer + better resolution etc.
    Cool, I love this game. After they removed those fixed roads I actual lost interest in Settler III
    Thanks for the notice, I'll see if I can make an ebuild for it...

//edit: actual there is already the widelands project, no need for a second fork? While settler rttr is more like the original game...
    Last edited by disi; 11-19-2009 at 05:18 AM.

I tough a bit about it, and I must say that my favourite games are Homeworld and NWN.

My best was half life 2

There are a few oldies but goodies that have been ported to Linux, but for the most part my favorites don't exist natively on Linux but instead through Wine and numerous emulators such as DOSbox and console emulators.

Most games suck now days any way, though 360/PS3 and Wii have a few decent titles as well as some good arcade, board, and party games. Linux as a HTPC should consider the latter three more along with RPGs or other games with some depth, or just simply more creativity in gameplay (and can always add depth) no matter what the genre.

Heroes of Newerth definitly

Default Favorite Open/Closed Source Games

My always favorite game is the one and only NFS underground part 2, I am the huge fan and also all time winner of this game. noone can beat me in this game.