Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

Quote Originally Posted by ludovic.silvestre
    I don't agree, but I also don't understand why you would want that (give a use case?). Anyway, the activities screen should show all information that the user can have. The dock shows all opened application (and favorites) because the middle section show the opened applications for the selected workspace. If the dock show the same information as the middle section, you loose information (the opened applications in the other workspaces).
    Well my point is simple as this: when I switch to workspace N, I would like to have fast access to applications running on that workspace. I don't mind any solution which helps me to switch apps very fast (one button or one key). I also need to get overview of those apps, dock seems to be proper place.

Quote Originally Posted by ludovic.silvestre
    Are you talking about something like this -> http://www.notgeeklycorrect.com/wp-c...erswitcher.png.
    If that's the case, gnome-shell already does something similar with Alt+Tab, although it doesn't show all information right away, nor have the same organization. But let me ask you a question: when you want to switch to an app in another workspace, do you think "I want to switch to Firefox in Workspace 5" or "I want to go to Workspace 5 to see Firefox"? If you answered the last one, then Alt+Tab should be as you said. Otherwise, gnome-shell does the right thing, first show a list of applications, then show the applications in all workspace (press down arrow to get the list). Their problem is that they don't identify the app's workspace, that's why I suggested a little icon with a number.
    On gnome2 (that is NOW), I'm using superswitcher - what a brilliant app it is! But overall, see, it depends, when I'm somewhere and want to see all apps (so I can choose them globally) is one thing - I want to switch to that applications WS, when I'm in concrete workspace I use some sort of key combination to get all apps on that WS only, I mean I know the context and I choose to display all or just current workspace apps, also i very much like compiz thing to switch to another window of current application. I'm completely open to anything, just make it simple, fast and rationale. Compiz approach seems to be very very good, three combinations to show apps, very good, simple, fast and thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar
    Gnome Shell doesn't fit this workflow. However, the developers are considering designs with fixed workspace layouts, so you may wish to add your voice to the mailing list and bugtracker, explain your workflow and make sure future versions of Gnome Shell are a better fit.
    This is really good news, but all talks about gnome devs seems to go down the hill, I take it with salt as I never had such an attention, but still, some of well known (and some posters here that I kinda believe / trust their opinion) said it's completely no-go anyone would listen to it... Will try...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar
    In the meanwhile, Ubuntu Unity is a great alternative that builds on Gnome 3 and supports fixed workspaces (if you are using Ubuntu). KDE might also fit the bill but that's a much larger change to swallow (different applications, different looks, different mentality).
    I tried, I thought it was my savior from dumbness of G3, but hey, it was slow :O I was so frustrated and surprised it is SLOW with catalyst, in gnome2 and compiz 0.8.x it was super fast, it was completely super, I don't know what they did with 0.9.x and unity but opening 30 apps and having 2 monitors is a NIGHTMARE 0 it IS dog slow then, I was so disappointed, really... Still Unity design is really better compared to G3 for a power user, I completely relied on established compiz reputation and still it failed for me... What a shit

Of course current state of linux desktop seems to be a LOT better when I started like 5 years ago, it was really a challenge to work amongst Windows machines, Linux was faster, but support was so so so, now I just need to find correct DE for me... Gnome was the best stable and supported, KDE nowadays is more than OK, except it has no transparent KIO, evolution/evolution-mapi integration and such stuff, if it would support those - I would switch to KDE any time despite any Gnome3/Unity, because it's functional, pretty, GUI is fast now (starting 4.7), it has Activities of their own - a fantastic feature, folder view - fantastic, but I hate missing meetings coming from our Exchange server, I have no notifications from Exchange and I hate I can't save documents to windows share because KIO is not transparent, I hate to download movies from my SSH and then watch when in GNOME I can watch them realtime using GVFS, because it's transparent.

Not much asked, but still I understand FREE is free and I can't complain, I can suggest / contribute instead if anyone IS actually listening... I'm kind of a person which first try alternatives / try workarounds / try to fix it myself and only then ask / complain or so...

Kinda this
    Last edited by Kirurgs; 10-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.