Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 201

Thread: It's Easy To Guess What Angers GNOME Users

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    397

    Default

    So, I am going to be constructive here and tell you all that there ARE Gnome 3 extensions that will make you want to forget about Gnome 2 and LOVE Gnome 3. It is a shame they aren't by default, or at least included in Gnome 3.

    Step 1. Install the extensions from here. http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

    Step 2. Download Gnome-tweak apt://gnome-tweak-tool

    Step 3. Enable all the extensions in Gnome-tweak


    Step 4. Fix the maximum, minimize, and close buttons. Set to all for maximum Gnome 2 ness.


    Step 5. Enjoy staring at your actually usable desktop for a while.


    Step 6. GET SHIT DONE!
    http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6811/gettingdone.png

    Step 7. Profit?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Thanks for the information LinuxID10T, i got to try that out.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Or you can do as I suggested and just use the Gnome Fallback mode...

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post233395

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Or you can do as I suggested and just use the Gnome Fallback mode...

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post233395
    It really isn't a good alternative. It is half baked at best and has many flaws. My solutions has all the pluses of Gnome 3 with the usability of Gnome 2.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    It really isn't a good alternative. It is half baked at best and has many flaws. My solutions has all the pluses of Gnome 3 with the usability of Gnome 2.
    If you want to use the Gnome Shell's features your idea may have merit, however, if you just want a Gnome 2.x like system what is wrong with the Fallback? It has become just as good as the old Gnome Panel in terms of features and is still improving and receiving support. What is left to be "half baked"? You do not like the theme?

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    If you want to use the Gnome Shell's features your idea may have merit, however, if you just want a Gnome 2.x like system what is wrong with the Fallback? It has become just as good as the old Gnome Panel in terms of features and is still improving and receiving support. What is left to be "half baked"? You do not like the theme?
    Actually, you bring up a couple very valid points. First, the half bakedness has to do a bit with how everything lines up in the menus for example. Yes, the themeing is a bit on the offside. The lack of a system drop down menu, just small things. Second, I prefer my solution because it really does take the best from both worlds. Honestly, my solution is what I always dreamed gnome would be someday. It feels like the evolutionary step where Gnome should have gone, rather than the revolutionary Gnome 3 misstep.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    So, I am going to be constructive here and tell you all that there ARE Gnome 3 extensions that will make you want to forget about Gnome 2 and LOVE Gnome 3. It is a shame they aren't by default, or at least included in Gnome 3.

    Step 1. Install the extensions from here. http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

    Step 2. Download Gnome-tweak apt://gnome-tweak-tool

    Step 3. Enable all the extensions in Gnome-tweak


    Step 4. Fix the maximum, minimize, and close buttons. Set to all for maximum Gnome 2 ness.


    Step 5. Enjoy staring at your actually usable desktop for a while.


    Step 6. GET SHIT DONE!
    http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6811/gettingdone.png

    Step 7. Profit?
    Great post sir. I really love the platform they have built gnome 3 on, its very extensible being written in javascript and css. I think this is gnome-shell's biggest advantage over unity, IMO gnome put a lot more thought into the underlying platform, while canonical took the hacky route implementing unity as a glorified compiz plugin.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Actually, you bring up a couple very valid points. First, the half bakedness has to do a bit with how everything lines up in the menus for example. Yes, the themeing is a bit on the offside. The lack of a system drop down menu, just small things. Second, I prefer my solution because it really does take the best from both worlds. Honestly, my solution is what I always dreamed gnome would be someday. It feels like the evolutionary step where Gnome should have gone, rather than the revolutionary Gnome 3 misstep.
    Well, that is a fair enough argument, and if it works for you that is great.

    Personally, I think the Fallback mode Panel is better than the one in Gnome 2.x actually. The applet placement is more sane, and prevents them moving all over the place when you change screen resolution and gets rid of that stupid locking mechanism you had to fight with in a vain effort to stop things moving around. To me the system drop down menu has been completely depreciated by System Settings and the user menu, and the whole layout is actually cleaner without it. As for the menu line up complaints I am not sure what you mean, but I will take your word for it. Still, if it has not bothered me, I can not really complain.

    After that, my only issue has been theming, and that is why I am rolling my own. And thanks to GTK3 that is much easier to do than ever.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    57

    Thumbs down Journalism?

    Quality reporting again Michael, pasting vitriol on the front page and pretending it is journalism.

    My only consolation is that, like the kernel 'power' bugs, any conclusions from this survey will not be reported upstream.

    You really should ask yourself, "am I helping?" before doing this.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzjrs View Post
    Quality reporting again Michael, pasting vitriol on the front page and pretending it is journalism.

    My only consolation is that, like the kernel 'power' bugs, any conclusions from this survey will not be reported upstream.

    You really should ask yourself, "am I helping?" before doing this.
    All he is doing is showing the developers how the vast majority of users feel. Sure, he could have done it more constructively, but none the less. He is helping the developers see there are other people than themselves and they should do what the users want.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •