Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Gigabyte is just another pro-microsoftie crappy vendor, that joins the glorius parade of idiots among with Logitech, Adobe et al.

How do you spot a crappy vendor? This easy:

If you ever have a problem with hardware, and you mention in any location that you use Linux (or BSD etc, no matter) you immediately get response:
    Sorry, we currently do not support Linux.

The problem does not have even to originate from Linux or OS itself, at all. You immediately will get this response.
    I think it is actually a global case and it is written on their note tables and discussed on meeting.

This is work of microsoft, to protect one of columns of its monopoly.

1) Hardware vendors/drivers.
    2) Preinstallations via OEM illegal agreements(either 100% microsoft preinstall or pay full price) to achieve MASS distribution.
    3) Control over major protocols and standarts.

So, what can you do about it?

Simple!

Should you happen to purchase ANY hardware in RETAIL store, just shout out loud that microsoft, logitech, gigabyte et al are for retards

BTW, do you know how to update/reflash your BIOS EEPROM when using Gigabytes?
    Right, their BIOS updates are packed in .exe binaries! Only Gigabyte does this!
    Luckily, that are not some custom installers, but just 7z self extracting archives! So p7zip can extract it directly, like it were .7z!

If you happen to run on these instructions in Gigabyte forum, how to extract this BIOS .exe in Linux, do know I wrote it for them(Gigabyte).

Buy Asrock / ASUS if you need consumer motherboard.

Uh, forgot to add. Regarding other motherboard vendors. Unlike Gigabyte, that states their motherboards are for Windows only, other state that their motherboard may be compatible with non-windows systems, but they can not guarantee that. And if you happen to have a problem, they will listen it up and if its their fault they will correct it, regardless of OS you use. That was my experience with ASUS.

Good to know ... I won't buy gigabyte boards anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Uh, forgot to add. Regarding other motherboard vendors. Unlike Gigabyte, that states their motherboards are for Windows only, other state that their motherboard may be compatible with non-windows systems, but they can not guarantee that. And if you happen to have a problem, they will listen it up and if its their fault they will correct it, regardless of OS you use. That was my experience with ASUS.
    Only if you know how to reach the right people at Asus which is basically completely skip regional support and call Asus HQ directly.

Quote Originally Posted by lucx View Post
    I'am stil getting bios updates for my 4 years old mb a7n8x-e from asus.
    Last BIOS update for that board was in 2009.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/so...orce2/a7n8x-e/

Default Gygabyte and Phoronix just increased my workload

My boss just called me after reading this, to make me change an order of 25 gygabyte boards we had. Now I'll have to choose one from Tyan and test it for another month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    My boss just called me after reading this, to make me change an order of 25 gygabyte boards we had. Now I'll have to choose one from Tyan and test it for another month.
    Your boss did the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    That makes no sense. Why did you choose Gigabyte in the first place when they had made no claims of Linux support to start with? And why does publicly stating what was already implicitly stated change anything?

Honestly we shouldn't be surprised, is there really any motherboard company that supports any other than windows...
    But indeed it does take it another level that gigabyte and others wont even fix something that is out of spec.

I think the only way for something to happen would be to have pressure come from another large company. I think it would take Amd and Intel going through company channels to make sure things like this are fixed. Amd and Intel have more visible support for linux and one would assume they would want their products to work with it correctly.

Thumbs down not a fan of Tyan aka Mitac

having been an buyer of Tyan (aka Mitac) motherboards when the first of the Intel San Clemente chipset came out, I would be reluctant to buy Tyan again.

the motherboards had various problems which were denied for quite a few months, and Tyan's technical support (a single person to cover most of Europe as far as I could tell) was hardly available to help.