Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 92

Thread: Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

  1. #81
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    ASPM is not supported PCIe 1.0 devices. It was introduced with 1.1.
    This way a lot of older NVidia PCIe cards, at least up to GeForce 6 (not sure about GeForce 7), do not support it.
    When you do not use pcie_aspm=force, Linux correctly detects PCIe 1.0 and disables ASPM. It only affects this device and is not globally: so your BIOS is OK.

    The same thing happens on some (wired & wireless) networking cards, and many other early PCIe devices.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Most motherboard manufacturers only list Windows as supported operating systems in their product descriptions and manuals. If it works in another OS, it's a bonus but rarely supported.
    I don't care a bit about what OS they support. What I do care about is that they support the specifications. If they don't that is clearly a bug and should be fixed by them.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    ASPM is not supported PCIe 1.0 devices. It was introduced with 1.1.
    This way a lot of older NVidia PCIe cards, at least up to GeForce 6 (not sure about GeForce 7), do not support it.
    When you do not use pcie_aspm=force, Linux correctly detects PCIe 1.0 and disables ASPM. It only affects this device and is not globally: so your BIOS is OK.

    The same thing happens on some (wired & wireless) networking cards, and many other early PCIe devices.
    I have an nVidia GeForce 7900GS I bought in late 2007 and would that fall under 1.0 or 1.1 PCIe specs?

  4. #84
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    If Linux detects a PCIe pre-1.1 device, it is a PCIe pre-1.1 device and thus PCIe 1.0.

    nVidia does not seem to have PCIe 1.1 cards so the first cards with ASPM were the PCIe 2.0 cards (certain GeForce 8 models).

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    I don't care a bit about what OS they support. What I do care about is that they support the specifications. If they don't that is clearly a bug and should be fixed by them.
    That is true. But sadly nobody seems to really care about standards.
    And some, like MS, create pseudo-standards (office open xml) with 6'000 pages but later not keeping to their own specs.
    Then, in HW terms, there is ACPI (also made up by MS as one member of ACPI board and their faulty compilers for the tables) or other stuff. In the HW business it is probably often the case "just make W32 work with it and that's it". If Windows doesn't bitch forget the product and get on with the next generation of stuff. Short life/release cycles aren't doing much good here.
    (free & open) Standards are a good thing, but it would be better for the world if people would be sticking with it.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    "standards"

    http://xkcd.com/927/

  7. #87
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Perhaps Microsoft only helps developing standards like ACPI because they want to be sure sure they can mess up Windows' implementation without breaking it on existing ACPI-compatible computers.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default since you bumped the thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    Perhaps Microsoft only helps developing standards like ACPI because they want to be sure sure they can mess up Windows' implementation without breaking it on existing ACPI-compatible computers.
    Yes, that's what I understand after reading some old Gates emails. Some words like "We need to make Linux to not work" and things like that. It's all planned.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    677

    Default

    I haven't heard of the motherboard vendors mentioned before, and they didn't come up with I was in the market for a new one. I bought a Gigabyte Z68 one anyway, despite them mailing to me:

    Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, since our products only support Windows OS, we cannot guarantee Ubuntu to work on our system. We suggest you to install Windows OS to prevent having problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Regards,
    GIGABYTE
    So this is a general company stance and not a one-off thing. It's working out fine so far though, and I didn't think there were any mb vendors who were actually good what they do otherwise.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I think Dell is one of the few companies who have released non-server computers (i.e. laptops and desktops) specifically for running linux?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •