Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uninstalling Catalyst/fglrx leaves behind a broken system

you can dl the version you want to install whereever you want and put it in /usr/src. when the installer follows the "normal" naming scheme you can specify any version with -v XXX option. you can use that for unreleased drivers as well that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    you can dl the version you want to install whereever you want and put it in /usr/src. when the installer follows the "normal" naming scheme you can specify any version with -v XXX option. you can use that for unreleased drivers as well that way.
    Thanks for your reply, I went through your script to see the way it worked, the problem is my transfer rate here is only 1000 to 1500 bytes/sec. The script downloads and installs a number of packages in order to create the correct deb file to install. This download took over 3 hours then it failed. it took two attempts (not good !!!!!) at this to get FGLRX installed. The script worked great once one figured out how to use it but the download time is just to long for me. Note, I can download the AMD package at the internet cafe in town, the transfer rate there is in the order 150 kilobytes per sec, unfortunately thats in town and I live in a remote area where the population is very low.

Another point to keep in mind is I have been using Linux since kernel 0.96d, way back in 1993. Playing around in Linux is no problems these days and holds no fears for me,
    can still be be a pain though sometimes,

"been there and done that, got the t shirt to prove it"

Blacksmith

Only times I've had issues removing/upgrading fglrx in the past 3 years and a half I've been using it is when openSUSE still had saX (or was it Sax... SaX... yeah whatever...).
    Since it kicked the bucket, I've had to shut down X before running the installation script. That's it.
    Never used any additional repository nor extra script.

Code:
    # cd /usr/share/ati
    # ./fglrx-uninstall.sh (now ./amd-uninstall.sh)
    *reboot*
    Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in
    # init 3
    # cd /wherever/I/saved/the/binary/
    # sh ati-[Tab]
    [Yes] [Yes] [Yes] [Ok] yada yada...
    # rm /etc/ati/amdpcsdb
    *reboot*
    Profit!
    I suggest people having issues with fglrx rethink their troubleshooting workflow.
    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 10-24-2011 at 09:01 AM.

i install kubuntu 11.10 again over the old system to rip out the catalyst... but the catalyst is still there...
    the kubuntu 11.10 installation automatic install the catalyst if the old install do have the catalyst..

Catalyst =cyborg/borg attacking my system.

Catalyst: "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. "
    Catalyst: "Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. "
    Catalyst: "I am fglrx, of Catalyst. Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us"

LOL really FAIL-

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i install kubuntu 11.10 again over the old system to rip out the catalyst... but the catalyst is still there...
    the kubuntu 11.10 installation automatic install the catalyst if the old install do have the catalyst..

Catalyst =cyborg/borg attacking my system.

Catalyst: "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. "
    Catalyst: "Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. "
    Catalyst: "I am fglrx, of Catalyst. Resistance is futile. Your life as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us"

LOL really FAIL-
    ok my system works again but i have to remove and purge libgl1-mesa-dri

and this removes nearly all my installed packages in my system...

in my point of view its broken now i have to spend many time in installing my software again...

Default Spambot detection is getting trickier

How long before spambots pass the Turing test? DM613's post here still is a copy from an earlier post, #3, albeit heavily modified to fool spam filters. The filters will have to step up and start spell and grammar check each post. The advantage is no more Youtube type comments, but the disadvantage would be that the filters might trap Q's posts.