Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Skype Publishes New Linux APIs w/ Video Support

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,657

    Default Skype Publishes New Linux APIs w/ Video Support

    Phoronix: Skype Publishes New Linux APIs w/ Video Support

    Skype, now under the control of Microsoft, has announced a new developer preview of SkypeKit. It surprisingly brings good news for Linux users...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwNjY

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix
    Maybe now we'll see Skype support come to the Farstream audio/video framework and other Linux desktop applications.
    Considering that any SkypeKit software must be closed source:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    By registering with Skype Developer, you will have access to confidential information and documentation relating to the SkypeKit program that has been publicly released ("Confidential Information") and you agree not to disclose, publish or disseminate the Confidential Information to any third party (including by posting on any developer forum); and to take reasonable measures to prevent the unauthorised use, disclosure, publication or dissemination of the Confidential Information.
    …nope, clearly not.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russian Federation
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Creshal View Post
    Considering that any SkypeKit software must be closed source:

    …nope, clearly not.
    Well, this license doesn't clearly prohibit creating a closed-source library with well-defined public API that might be dlinked to the GPL'ed software. But chances are good that OSS devs wouldn't want to play with a devil. And I wouldn't blame them for it.

    As for the news, despite it's surprising that M$ still hadn't killed linux support for Skype I still tend to be skeptical about Skype future on linux. The only reason I see for M$ to keep on supporting linux version of Skype is to create codebase for embeded systems developers wanting to implement linux-based VoIP SoC boxes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexa2 View Post
    As for the news, despite it's surprising that M$ still hadn't killed linux support for Skype I still tend to be skeptical about Skype future on linux. The only reason I see for M$ to keep on supporting linux version of Skype is to create codebase for embeded systems developers wanting to implement linux-based VoIP SoC boxes.
    I guess MS doesn't think that Linux is a major threat anymore. They're probably more concerned with IOS or Android then Linux.
    Let's face it, if a Linux user once in a while want to buy a program or game they're very likely to buy windows software which indirectly helps out MS.
    Android & IOS users spend more money on software and most of that money aren't helping MS at all.
    Last edited by a7v-user; 10-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth, Scotland
    Posts
    436

    Default

    I first heard about this ages and ages ago (here, I think?) and had given up waiting. This is good news, I guess, but yeah, there could be some thorny license issues.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skype
    publicly released ("Confidential Information")
    lolwhut?!?!?!?!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexa2 View Post
    Well, this license doesn't clearly prohibit creating a closed-source library with well-defined public API that might be dlinked to the GPL'ed software.
    Well… but the GPL forbids that.
    The GPL only allows linking to proprietary libraries when they are a) part of the operating system and b) not shipped together.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Moscow, Russian Federation
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Well… but the GPL forbids that.
    The GPL only allows linking to proprietary libraries when they are a) part of the operating system and b) not shipped together.
    Thx for info. Hadn't had a chance to dig deep into GPL text.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    51

    Post jitsi as alternative

    Bah, No Open/FreeBSD and SunOS/OpenIndiana/Solaris support?
    Well, that skype have open alternatives to say moderately.
    Take a look at: Jitsi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •