Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper setup to be able to run old, or any games with Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper setup to be able to run old, or any games with Wine?

I recently bought an AMD A8-3850, and I run the FOSS drivers. The driver itself works well, as my desktop experience is pleasant. My problem is that Wine seeminly does not recognize that I have a GPU at all. I'm aware that performance may or may not be suitable for gaming.

I have tried Starcraft 2, and Mass Effect.

When I tried playing Starcraft 2 with Wine, it crashes with an error message saying something out my "Nvidia 5500" isn't supported. I don't recall the exact model, but it's an extremely old GPU, that I don't have. Looking at the wine output, it looks like wine doesn't find a GPU at all, and maybe SC2 is just "defaulting" to the oldest GPU it knows about.
    Unfortunately I removed SC2 because I couldn't get it running.

Mass Effect, which I still have, says "Failed to compile global shader FColorPixelShader", followed by what looks like a backtrace.
    Wine outputs:
    Code:
    fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x152f68, L"C:\\Program (x86)\\Mass Effect\\Binaries\\MassEffect.exe", 0x93ead8)
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x93f510,0x00000000), stub!
    fixme:d3dcompiler:D3DCompile data 0x4fce400, data_size 449, filename (null), defines 0x423c5a0, include 0x93f280, entrypoint "Main",
    target "ps_2_0", sflags 0, eflags 0, shader 0x93f244, error_messages 0x93f24c stub!
    fixme:d3dcompiler:D3DCompile data 0x4fce400, data_size 449, filename (null), defines 0x423c5a0, include 0x93f280, entrypoint "Main",
    target "ps_2_0", sflags 0, eflags 0, shader 0x93f244, error_messages 0x93f24c stub!
    fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
    It was suggested on this SC2 related thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-Radeon-Driver that maybe I lack some 32-bit OpenGL libs, or have an old version of mesa.

Mesa is currently 7.11, but I have also tried with git, as of yesterday.
    I have "app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl" version "20110928" installed from Gentoo repos.
    The driver is "xf86-video-ati", also from git as of yesterday, as I could not get X started at all on 6.14.2.

Is there something else that I need to install to make this work?

I tried disabling 64-bit support in wine, figuring it might be making things needlessly complicated. After a re-install of Mass Effect, it has been moved from "Program Files (x86)" to just "Program files", but that unfortunately doesn't help. It's interesting that the error message though, is slightly different:
    Failed to compile global shader FDOFAndBloomGatherFallbackPixerShader.

Comment

Those look like two different issues. The ME2 problem is probably due to Wine not having a HLSL compiler yet, installing native d3dx9 may help. The SC2 problem is probably because Wine actually doesn't recognize your GPU. Llano detection was added very recently and the first Wine release this will show up in is 1.3.32. It's surprising it would fall back to an nvidia card though, typically it would end up falling back to something like a Radeon 8500. Which Wine version did you use? Also, I'm not quite sure if Mesa 7.11 already had Llano support, since it's fairly new there as well. If it didn't, that may mean you were using a software renderer for SC2.

Comment

You won't be geting far with Gentoo's compatibility libs, they are ancient and Mesa changes too rapidly.

You'll need to build 32-bit mesa (and some dependencies) from source and from git. Look here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...m+overlay.html

It might not solve this particular problem, but it will solve many others. It's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Henri View Post
          Those look like two different issues. The ME2 problem is probably due to Wine not having a HLSL compiler yet, installing native d3dx9 may help. The SC2 problem is probably because Wine actually doesn't recognize your GPU. Llano detection was added very recently and the first Wine release this will show up in is 1.3.32. It's surprising it would fall back to an nvidia card though, typically it would end up falling back to something like a Radeon 8500. Which Wine version did you use? Also, I'm not quite sure if Mesa 7.11 already had Llano support, since it's fairly new there as well. If it didn't, that may mean you were using a software renderer for SC2.
          Thanks. I will try to figure out how to install native d3dx9 then The initial searches indicated winetricks could do it, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore? As for my GPU not being detected, I guess I will just have to wait for the 32 release then. I'm currently on 1.3.30.
          I greatly appreciate the help. I apparently had absolutely no idea where in the stack my problems were caused.
          Regarding mesa, I've moved back to using git again, since I get the impression there's a risk that using 7.11 further causes issues.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          You won't be geting far with Gentoo's compatibility libs, they are ancient and Mesa changes too rapidly.

You'll need to build 32-bit mesa (and some dependencies) from source and from git. Look here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...m+overlay.html

It might not solve this particular problem, but it will solve many others. It's a start.
          Great info, thanks I'll give that a try to, but I'll probably try getting d9, and 1.3.32, installed first.

Comment

So installing 1.3.32 did indeed let me start StarCraft, progress, woo!
            Unfortunately the graphics are more messed up than not, and beyond the main menu, displaying only two colors, and most things not at all.

I have yet to figure out how to install the native d3dx9, as all suggestions I find revolve around using winetricks, and winetricks does no longer seem to support this.

Perhaps pingufunkybeat's suggestions will help with the graphics issues in StarCraft.

Comment

Working...
            X