Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Default Power!

Guys the difference here is really HUGE!!
    Apart from the fact that freezes just disappeared (which were extremely annoying and dangerous for the filesystem), the BIG difference came for me when I ran the 3 Unigine demos.
    My system specs: AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (unlocked X2 550)
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 extreme 1GB DDR5
    4 GB DDR3 1333 RAM OCZ Gold 9-9-9-20 1,65Volt
    OpenSUSE 11.4 X64 with KDE 4.7.2 Kwin 3D with openGL 2 shaders forced

I saw HEAVEN running at 30 FPS most of the time (and rarely went under it, also three times caught 60 FPS) with Vsync, moderate tessellation, 16X anisotropic, resolution 1440x900 32 bit 60Hz, 4X antialiasing and all of the other options enabled!! Rendering was beautiful with no glitches or artifacts...

With 11,9 Catalyst and earlier HEAVEN was never running with more than 20 FPS (only in 2 scenes managed to reach 30 FPS!!)

The same image showed also with TROPICS and SANCTUARY where I always got 60 FPS and only at one scene in TROPICS counter showed 30 FPS!!

The performance gain I saw is more than double speed and I used Vsync in all of the 3 demos and AMDCCCLE Tearing Free option enabled! I will try to run them without vsync and report back here...
    But for the desktop feeling I don't think something changed radically... A slight smoother feeling let's say, it's generally in nice shape here...
    Last edited by djdoo; 10-31-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Default No Vsync or Tear Free

Results from counters: settings as mentioned at my previous post

Heaven -> average 32 FPS, peak 41, bottom 18
    Tropics -> average 65 FPS, peak 105, bottom 24 with HDR
    Sanctuary -> average 65 FPS, peak 75, bottom 52 with HDR

I am really impressed with these results!

Maybe Rage forced amd to work on their opengl driver part which is shared between the win and linux...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Maybe Rage forced amd to work on their opengl driver part which is shared between the win and linux...
    yes ... Rage is good for linux even it is not a linux game... OpenGL game means linux in the end of the day-..

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    yes ... Rage is good for linux even it is not a linux game... OpenGL game means linux in the end of the day-..
    Hey, that's exactly what I was about to say.
    I couldn't agree more!

Installed it on Unity: sluggish compiz animations...

Quote Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
    Installed it on Unity: sluggish compiz animations...
    Disable sync to Vblank until this bug is fixed in an upcoming Compiz update.

Working very well here on Oneiric 64 using unity. No problems with the extra compiz animations I run, Quite snappy. I had to ditch 11.9 after about five minutes. I think 11.10 is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Working very well here on Oneiric 64 using unity. No problems with the extra compiz animations I run, Quite snappy. I had to ditch 11.9 after about five minutes. I think 11.10 is a keeper.
    how did u install? I am running Oneiric 64 with unity, and when I install I only get the fallback graphics mode

I will have to test them more, though right off the bat: has anyone else gotten the impression 2D is extremely smooth out-of-the-box? I mean, close to no tearing, fast redraw, without even activating Tear-Free.