Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Using Ubuntu 11.10 (x86) with GNOME Shell 3.2 and dual monitor set-up.

Still graphical corruption, though not constant, in different area's:
    - Tooltips and scrollbar handle
    - Glitches over the complete desktop when alternately hovering over two notification area icons (bottom right) a few times

Application overview appears to respond a bit slower and animates slightly less fluently

Enabling "Tear Free Video" in the CCC makes the complete desktop stutter.

In my case I see no notable improvements over 11.9. No Shell crashes/restarts so far though.

The Shell top bar still refuses to be moved to a primary monitor on the right-hand side. I'm, however, not sure if this is a driver or a Shell issue.
    Last edited by Forage; 10-31-2011 at 02:04 PM.

I also get corruption with gnome-shell. Also 50HZ output doesn't work anymore. My monitors show it is an unsupported mode but the even have the mode in EDID data.

Quote Originally Posted by Forage View Post
    Using Ubuntu 11.10 (x86) with GNOME Shell 3.2 and dual monitor set-up.

Still graphical corruption, though not constant, in different area's:
    - Tooltips and scrollbar handle
    - Glitches over the complete desktop when alternately hovering over two notification area icons (bottom right) a few times

Application overview appears to respond a bit slower and animates slightly less fluently

Enabling "Tear Free Video" in the CCC makes the complete desktop stutter.

In my case I see no notable improvements over 11.9. No Shell crashes/restarts so far though.

The Shell top bar still refuses to be moved to a primary monitor on the right-hand side. I'm, however, not sure if this is a driver or a Shell issue.
    The Tear Free = stuttering and slow is the same thing that happens in KDE 4.7 if you force it to use OpenGL 2 shaders. In KDE's case, the default is it detects FGLRX and falls back to the legacy OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend.

My guess is with GNOME, there is no OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend for it to fall back to and you can't turn vsync off for mutter because GNOME = crusade against competent users who know what they need to do to make the system work right.

WIthout Tear Free on, but with kwin using vsync, you get graphical glitches if you force OpenGL 2 shaders.

But, KDE lets you turn vsync off. So if you're perfectly happy to live with tearing, then you can use the OpenGL 2 backend with kwin.

Default And unity?

Did anyone try it with unity?

Quote Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
    Did anyone try it with unity?
    No, but my guess is that it should work.

Compiz uses a OpenGL 1.x fixed function backend like kwin's legacy mode has no matter what driver you use and is packed full of FGLRX bug workarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by erpe View Post
    Is this finally the driver I'm waiting for over 2 years now?

How does gnome-shell behave?
    Still broke with the slant menu screen corruption and the whole screen glitches. Very disappointed! At least KDE doesn't crash anymore with desktop effects.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Generated DEB-packages doesn't work for me at all. After installation and "amdconfig --initial" X Server doesn't start with this error:
    (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
    (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    Not sure yet, but probably Oneiric packaging script is broken. Now I can't even go back to Catalyst 11.8 from Canonical repository - it's doesn't load too with same error message. Any advices?
    Follow results: yes, generation DEB-packages for Oneiric is broken. Installation without generation DEB-package work flawlessly.

Follow results: yes, generation DEB-packages for Oneiric is broken. Installation without generation DEB-package work flawlessly.
    It's not broken, you need the build environment.

If you pay attention to the warnings, it's kind of obvious what all you need.

dh-modealiases, dkms, debhelper, build-essential, execstack, and dpkg-dev should be everything you need (or depend on everything anyway)

Installing from the script is a great way to get a broken system when it doesn't rebuild itself for X or kernel updates, and plows over your Mesa system files.

Bad idea. I think you got hit by this issue: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    It's not broken, you need the build environment. If you pay attention to the warnings, it's kind of obvious what all you need..
    Reading documentation is often helpful too http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29
    Actually, fglrx-updates package from the repo should have the latest Catalyst soon, and building manually shouldn't be necessary.