Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 80

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    how did u install? I am running Oneiric 64 with unity, and when I install I only get the fallback graphics mode
    run the installer with --buildpkg option to generate debs. Then install using dpkg.

    Code:
    sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    run the installer with --buildpkg option to generate debs. Then install using dpkg.

    Code:
    sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    I really don't get what's going on with my system. I tried the same exact way. this is what Xorg.0.log gives me as the error

    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    I really don't get what's going on with my system. I tried the same exact way. this is what Xorg.0.log gives me as the error

    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
    [ 22.693] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    I don't know what has caused this problem but I always purge the old fglrx before running the --buildpkg and always run sudo aticonfig --initial after install of the debs but before rebooting.

    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove fglrx*

    Don't know if these steps are really necessary but I carry on with it out of superstition and it seems to work for me.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    I don't know what has caused this problem but I always purge the old fglrx before running the --buildpkg and always run sudo aticonfig --initial after install of the debs but before rebooting.

    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove fglrx*

    Don't know if these steps are really necessary but I carry on with it out of superstition and it seems to work for me.
    haha, yeah I always do the same sort of superstitious steps as well, but for some reason my system is screwed, the module doesn't seem to be loading at all, as I cant load or unload fglrx in a vt. I wonder whether upgrading to 11.10, instead of reinstalling is responsible for this

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Disable sync to Vblank until this bug is fixed in an upcoming Compiz update.
    Did that, still sluggish animations

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
    Installed it on Unity: sluggish compiz animations...
    Most likely the well known Compiz+FGLRX vsync problem. It'll be fixed in Compiz eventually. Until then, you can work around it by setting vsync to off in Compiz Config Settings Manager. (You will need to install that though)

    Edit: I posted this before the post above this. Disregard.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    For those using aticonfig/amdconfig, you can probably just stop it. Catalyst/FGLRX works fine without a xorg.conf since sometime last year in most cases.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    For those using aticonfig/amdconfig, you can probably just stop it. Catalyst/FGLRX works fine without a xorg.conf since sometime last year in most cases.
    Maybe, but if aticonfig isn't found and the kernel module is missing like these people are reporting, it indicates a deeper problem: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot

  9. #39

    Default

    I tried installing using both the graphic installer and by generating packages. Both said they were successful, but left me stuck in Unity 2d. I had to remove them and go back to the 11.8 driver. Hopefully this gets added to repo soon and works. I'd really like to try it and see if there is better 2D performance on my Asus 1215b with the E-350 processor.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Maybe, but if aticonfig isn't found and the kernel module is missing like these people are reporting, it indicates a deeper problem: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu....22_after_boot
    not that I can tell, a few people pointed to this, but none of the things there seem to me the issue.
    I actually just found that if I go into /lib/modules/yourkernelhere/updates/dkms/ and then sudo insmod ./fglrx.ko then I was able to get it to properly load.....I'm guessing this wont keep it loading every reboot, any ideas as to why its not loading automatically?
    Last edited by chronniff; 10-31-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •