Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.10 is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Margus View Post
    How do you guys remove, purge and install it. i used this http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
    i used linux only 20 days.
    sudo rm -R /etc/ati
    sudo rm -R /usr/lib/fglrx
    sudo rm -R /usr/share/ati

then install from run file.

i never generated deb files because they allways broke my system.
    worked fine for me like that. but i dont have ati card anymore.

That is a really bad idea. Maybe your last ati card was before the lucid (10.04) release, up to that it was basically possible to use the installer directly (although still not recommended). The

update-alternatives --config gl_conf

driver switching knows absolutely nothing about drivers installed that way and thats the critical point. You do even change the ld search path for libs and you can switch if binaries are hidden or not. Thats basically an interesting idea, but it leads to the fact that you may NOT use any gfx driver installers that do not know about that. The one and only way is to create deb packages, as the switching idea is since lucid and there is only 1 binary in the package instead of 2 or 3 for different xservers you could try creating packages for older distributions and use em instead or you can update the packageing, the most easy way would be using my script together with the -u option. What then happens is basically this:
    Code:
    wget -qO- "http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglrx-packaging.git&dl=targz"|tar zxv
    rm -rf packages
    cp -rL fglrx-packaging packages
    rm -rf fglrx-packaging
    chmod +x packages/Ubuntu/ati-packager.sh

my last ati card was 2 weeks ago. with linux mint 11 (based on ubuntu natty).
    maybe it was bad, but it worked perfectly for me that way.

Hi,
    I am running a HD5850 card on a kubuntu 11.10 64bits OS.

After installing the catalyst drivers (11.9 or 11.10) I can no more log in. Actually, after installation & reboot, I reach the login screen and if I fill the user/password and press return, I see quickly a black screen and then go back to the login screen.

Notice that juste after installation, I get the following message if I try a :
    Code:
    $sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Even :
    Code:
    $amdcccle: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Any idea to fix that ? Thanks !

Hi,
    I am running a HD5850 card on a kubuntu 11.10 64bits OS.

After installing the catalyst drivers (11.9 or 11.10) I can no more log in. Actually, after installation & reboot, I reach the login screen and if I fill the user/password and press return, I see quickly a black screen and then go back to the login screen.

Notice that juste after installation, I get the following message if I try a :
    Code:
    $sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Even :
    Code:
    $amdcccle: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    But :
    Code:
    $ locate libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1.2
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1.2
    /usr/lib32/mesa/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib32/mesa/libGL.so.1.2
    /usr/lib64/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2
    /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2
    Any idea to fix that ? Thanks !

at least

ldconfig

is missing. of course:

update-alternatives --config gl_conf

should point to correct files. do never use the installer without deb packages...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    When it is not found you should call "depmod". But that seems to be a bug in your dkms package.
    depmod doesn't work, and its the same dkms package that i used to install the last catalyst releases, which installed fine......

I noticed that their doesn't seem to be a gl_conf entry for update-alternatives. When I run "update-alternatives --get-selections | grep gl_conf" I get this:

i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf auto /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf
    x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf auto /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf

could this be my problem? or in ubuntu 11.10 has this changed?
    also if I were to add it back would this be the right command (I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the update-alternatives system)?
    "sudo update-alternatives --install gl_conf /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf 500"

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    It's not broken, you need the build environment.
    If you pay attention to the warnings, it's kind of obvious what all you need.
    dh-modealiases, dkms, debhelper, build-essential, execstack, and dpkg-dev should be everything you need (or depend on everything anyway)
    Installing from the script is a great way to get a broken system when it doesn't rebuild itself for X or kernel updates, and plows over your Mesa system files.
    There is no any warnings while build. I have proper build environment that work fine with Catalyst 11.1-11.9.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Reading documentation is often helpful too http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29
    I know about this documentation. I even translate installation part of documentation for Russian Ubuntu Wiki.

Since chronniff have same problem with kernel module loading, there is really something doesn't right with deb-packages build script in latest fglrx.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    There is no any warnings while build. I have proper build environment that work fine with Catalyst 11.1-11.9.

I know about this documentation. I even translate installation part of documentation for Russian Ubuntu Wiki.

Since chronniff have same problem with kernel module loading, there is really something doesn't right with deb-packages build script in latest fglrx.
    have u tried loading it with "insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko" and restarting X?

it's not a great solution, I'm just curious as to whether we do have the same problem, because I agree if its not just happening on my system then something could be wrong with the build scripts, and u would be second person to confirm this issue besides myself

Quote Originally Posted by xpander View Post
    sudo rm -R /etc/ati
    sudo rm -R /usr/lib/fglrx
    sudo rm -R /usr/share/ati

then install from run file.

i never generated deb files because they allways broke my system.
    worked fine for me like that. but i dont have ati card anymore.
    Thats it is what i did and it fully broke the system. Deb files installed fine but it, but from installer broke the system. I installed 32 bit 11.10 and cat 11.10 generated buildpkg debs and it work. Only what is missing is xxx-uninstall.sh script.
    Last edited by Margus; 11-03-2011 at 05:04 AM.