Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,359

    Default Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

    Phoronix: Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

    It looks like id Software will soon be releasing the source code to their very well known Doom 3 game...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwOTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    yes really nice ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Well only thing that could be problematic is Creative's software patent(all tough it could all ready taken care of).

    For id tech 4 source, would it be possible to get working native linux installer for games like brink and wolfenstein by community work(maybe upcoming prey2 too).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    For id tech 4 source, would it be possible to get working native linux installer for games like brink and wolfenstein by community work(maybe upcoming prey2 too).
    That would be the nicest option, since a lot of what made id tech 4 special has already been implemented independently in many of the major free engines anyway, so it would add more value to the source code release. Not begrudging the release, but this is not going to be as big a game changer as some of the previous Quake engines.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    388

    Default

    It would be so awesome to see Enemy Territory on this engine. A great game, just in need of some graphic upgrades.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuke81 View Post
    For id tech 4 source, would it be possible to get working native linux installer for games like brink and wolfenstein by community work(maybe upcoming prey2 too).
    No, it is impossible, because we will still need Brink, Prey 2 and Wolfenstein source code.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    No, it is impossible, because we will still need Brink, Prey 2 and Wolfenstein source code.
    Unfortunately, gbudny is right. Even though Brink and Wolfenstein are based on id tech 4 several modifications have been added to the engine, like Brink using openGL 3+ for rendering. Splash Damage and Raven could also have added dependencies to 3rd party middleware which would make it harder still to create Linux clients. If you look at all the games that was based on id tech 3, have you ever seen Linux clients for any of them after id tech 3 was open sourced?

    On another note it's cool that id continues to open source there old engines even though I personally would rather spend time hacking some of the alternatives which allowes for commercial use.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctoren View Post
    If you look at all the games that was based on id tech 3, have you ever seen Linux clients for any of them after id tech 3 was open sourced?
    There was one exception, but Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force for Linux is still unfinished game:

    "The linux version of the STVEF engine was written by Thilo Schulz. It is based on the ioquake3 engine from icculus.org and allows you to play HOLOMATCH (the multiplayer part of STVEF, including bots). You cannot play the single player campaigns."

    http://lg.blogsport.de/2009/04/08/pl...e-under-linux/

    http://thilo.kickchat.com/efport-progress/bin/linux/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctoren View Post
    On another note it's cool that id continues to open source there old engines even though I personally would rather spend time hacking some of the alternatives which allowes for commercial use.
    There is nothing preventing anyone building a commercial game based on id Software's released engines, you just have to keep the engine code that you build on under the GPL. For example, Steel Storm is a commercial game based of the DarkPlaces engine. You can not keep the engine code proprietary, but your game data can still be proprietary if you so choose. If you hope to sell any games based off older id Software engine code anyway, one would hope it would be the gameplay and not the engine or graphics you were betting your money on anyway, as it would be quite difficult to compete with larger scale projects on those grounds anyway.

    And besides, even if the game was fully free, there is nothing stopping you from selling it as a commercial project even then. The GPL does not place any restrictions on sales or resale's of programs licensed under it.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbudny View Post
    No, it is impossible, because we will still need Brink, Prey 2 and Wolfenstein source code.
    It is not impossible, but it is quite difficult as you essentially have to reverse engineer the changes they had done to it. Thus it is only usually older game titles that have this done to them as they are inherently simpler and less likely to depend on third-party middle-ware.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    There is nothing preventing anyone building a commercial game based on id Software's released engines, you just have to keep the engine code that you build on under the GPL. For example, Steel Storm is a commercial game based of the DarkPlaces engine. You can not keep the engine code proprietary, but your game data can still be proprietary if you so choose. If you hope to sell any games based off older id Software engine code anyway, one would hope it would be the gameplay and not the engine or graphics you were betting your money on anyway, as it would be quite difficult to compete with larger scale projects on those grounds anyway.

    And besides, even if the game was fully free, there is nothing stopping you from selling it as a commercial project even then. The GPL does not place any restrictions on sales or resale's of programs licensed under it.
    Sorry, you are of course right. I just had the impression that you needed a license to use the engines commercially.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •