Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    There is nothing preventing anyone building a commercial game based on id Software's released engines, you just have to keep the engine code that you build on under the GPL.
    What you describe here is the LGPL. The GPL requires you to also release the code that links to the GPL'd code under a GPL compatible license. In this case this means that not only the engine source code but also the game source code must be released under a GPL compatible license.

    For example, Steel Storm is a commercial game based of the DarkPlaces engine. You can not keep the engine code proprietary, but your game data can still be proprietary if you so choose
    Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.
    Care to elaborate? I got source code when I bought the game, but I'm not sure if anything is missing?

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    Care to elaborate? I got source code when I bought the game,
    What you got is the source code for the engine.

    but I'm not sure if anything is missing?
    What you are missing is the source code for the game.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,742

    Default

    There have been games going the other way too, Urban Terror went from being on ioq3 to a proprietary license for Tech3 just to keep their future secret sauce.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    What you describe here is the LGPL. The GPL requires you to also release the code that links to the GPL'd code under a GPL compatible license. In this case this means that not only the engine source code but also the game source code must be released under a GPL compatible license.



    Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.
    It is possible to get alternative licensing terms from ID Software, which would circumvent the GPL.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGamer
    Steel Storm is based on the GPL engine Darkplaces, and its media license is even "almost" FOSS too with the CC-BY-NC-SA license. This makes it possible to use its engine enhancements (like a in-game editor, a really nice menu system, etc) also in other open-source games!

    I think this is actually not a bad compromise between trying to cover some expenses and still making open-source games, and that commercial efforts are not strictly incompatible with FOSS game development can be discussed here) It would be cool though, if they would consider a "ransom" design also, i.e. that the game becomes completely FOSS after a certain sum of sales has been reached.
    http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2010/0...en-source.html

    Quote Originally Posted by BlenderNation
    The game has never been released under GPL. Its released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
    http://www.blendernation.com/2010/09...orm-episode-i/

    I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 11-03-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Additional quote

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by BlenderNation
    The game has never been released under GPL. Its released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
    http://www.blendernation.com/2010/09...orm-episode-i/

    I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
    This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license. This is a clear violation of the GPL.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    So I guess this is about the game logic written in QuakeC? If so, they are free to license and distribute it as they see fit.

    (Unless it was based on GPL'ed QC, but that seems unlikely).

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license.
    Did they combine GPL'ed code with proprietary code?

    The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    This is illegal.
    Then where is the copyright suit?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •