Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.
    That was my impression as well. I do not think scripted game logic affects the GPL either way. I know for a fact one of the reasons the Steel Storm developers picked DarkPlaces is they liked its scripting language, which is also why they are not really using their Unigine license as they do not have the same fondness for the one it uses.

    For example, if I make a program that requires a free software runtime environment, but that program itself is proprietary, does that constitute a violation? As far as I know, that is not the case. So I think they are in the legal clear.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    I think the main question is whether someone could reasonably (in principle) swap in a different implementation of the runtime (a la POSIX, libc, sh, Java, etc.). If so, there is no "requires a free software [or rather GPL] runtime environment"; it's just "requires some compatible runtime environment".

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.

    You are wrong on this.

    The game code is not derived from GPL code, nor does it link to GPL code. All games for Darkplaces use QuakeC for game code, which is interpreted by the game engine.

    If you were right, you'd be disallowed to play the original Quake release, the commercial mission packs or any non-GPL third-party mods in any open-source Quake engine.


    This is (from my point of view) somewhat similar to how the GPL works at all for Perl. Or (more vaguely) how commercial software can work on a GPL operating system.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game. And now the engine is considered to be of no further commercial value. That and the "Big 5-oh" looming less than 2 years away, makes me very happy for the rest of you. But excuse me while I go cry into my pillow. ;-)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
    Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game.
    Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Oh gosh, they did it!
    GLSL 1.30 is ready! Ypee...
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...896f4451d14de0

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.
    Just wait 30 years. And you'll get yours! ;-)

    Seriously, though. Enjoy the next 30 years. Being 48 is cool and all. But one of the things you learn is that you can never go back. Partially because the world changes. But mostly because you change. Which is fine. And usually an improvement. But the lack of a rewind button does become increasingly noticeable.

    -Steve

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Oh gosh, they did it!
    GLSL 1.30 is ready! Ypee...
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...896f4451d14de0
    Damn, if there ever was an important post buried in nirvana, this is it.

    Holy shit, this is awesome news! We need a Phoronix story on this ASAP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •