Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype Goes After Reverse-Engineering

Default Skype Goes After Reverse-Engineering

Phoronix: Skype Goes After Reverse-Engineering

While Skype has now expanded their Linux API support to allow other applications to take advantage of Skype video calls and other features, a few months ago the Skype protocol began to be reverse-engineered by an independent researcher. Skype took action several times against this work...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwNzI

I don't see a point in that 'high priority project', I can do audio and video calls over XMPP using empathy (it has no-configuration NAT traversal, ICE I think) in less time than it takes to think of skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimzo View Post
    I don't see a point in that 'high priority project', I can do audio and video calls over XMPP using empathy (it has no-configuration NAT traversal, ICE I think) in less time than it takes to think of skype.
    the main problem is that xmpp -even with the backing of big G- isn't as popular as Skype -everyone knows Skype

and there are some interoperability problems ie it is not seamless to get google chat video to jabber (at least it was the last time i checked)

This person hasn't just reverse-engineerd, this person has deobfuscated code from Skype itself. IMO it is justified that Skype takes action against this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    This person hasn't just reverse-engineerd, this person has deobfuscated code from Skype itself. IMO it is justified that Skype takes action against this.
    no, it didn't.
    last time i checked federal laws were superseding licenses and EULAs, at least in my country. and, in my country, these laws say that you can reverse-engineer the shit out of it any way you want if you doing it for personal benefit or for bettering interoperability with your own shit which you don't profit directly from.

i guess even with USA it is the same since those assholes gone for "fighting malicious application" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    and there are some interoperability problems ie it is not seamless to get google chat video to jabber (at least it was the last time i checked)
    these "interoperability problems" called 'breaking the protocol". thank Google for taking it and going all Embrace, Extend and Extinguish on its ass.

Indeed, it is allowed to reverse-engineer. But it is not allowed to disassemble or deobfuscate code that is copyrighted by Skype.

In EU it's legal:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In Europe, the 1991 Software Directive explicitly provides for a right to decompile in order to achieve interoperability

Quote Originally Posted by dfx. View Post
    these "interoperability problems" called 'breaking the protocol". thank Google for taking it and going all Embrace, Extend and Extinguish on its ass.
    i have no idea where it started or why -or other technicalities behind it- but the problem must be fixed ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    In EU it's legal:
    As it is in Canada as well.

As it is in the free world in general.