Thread: vdpau with archbang

Default vdpau with archbang

on ubuntu 11.10, nvidia 280, and a quadro 600 ( VDPAU Feature Sets C ),
    there is a slight stutter of the video (hd video)

same problem with xubuntu, lubuntu, fedora, mint.

But, no artefacts at all with archbang.

media player : vlc

Please disable desktop effects (--no-composite) and try. what command you are using to play mplayer ?, Are you using latest mplayer ?
    Attach video you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
    Please disable desktop effects (--no-composite) and try. what command you are using to play mplayer ?, Are you using latest mplayer ?
    I do not use mplayer (as specified) but vlc.
    and xubuntu is not a GL-enabled desktops, but the ugly line continues to rise unexpectedly.

curiously, in ubuntu 11.04, the display of videos was impeccable, ONLY when compiz was ON !!!!!

Default ok

Quote Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
    You was right : when enabling compiz on ArchBang, the ugly lines arise again when watching video.

I guess, even with a quadro 600, 6go ram, Q9550, i need a primitive WM like openbox, with no compiz loaded, and with no fancy effects like transparency !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by letocha View Post
    on ubuntu 11.10, nvidia 280, and a quadro 600 ( VDPAU Feature Sets C ),
    there is a slight stutter of the video (hd video)

same problem with xubuntu, lubuntu, fedora, mint.

But, no artefacts at all with archbang.

media player : vlc
    I believe you need to install libva or vdpau-video, because vlc does not use vdpau directly, but needs some sort of backend installed for vaapi. (which I believe has a backend which defaults to either the x or gl shader acceleration method). Also Hardware acceleration in vlc on some distros is not flipped on by default.
    Last edited by WorBlux; 11-16-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Basically using the vdpau-video wrapper is not that good, it does not even work with xbmc correctly which supports vdpau + vaapi. vlc could only use vaapi when the ffmpeg/libav used was single threaded, otherwise it was disabled anyway because it immediately crashed. For native vdpau i would always use xmbc or mplayer2. mplayer2 can use the vdpau rendering too, needs vc override to use it for decode.