Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: LLVM/Clang Performance On Intel Sandy Bridge

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,410

    Default LLVM/Clang Performance On Intel Sandy Bridge

    Phoronix: LLVM/Clang Performance On Intel Sandy Bridge

    Lately there's been a lot of compiler benchmarks on Phoronix, particularly when looking at the performance on AMD's Bulldozer architecture and their FX-8150 system. However, here's some more compiler benchmarks, but this time under Intel Sandy Bridge...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxMzY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    It looks like smallpt is multithreaded on GCC and singlethreaded on Clang.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    It looks like smallpt is multithreaded on GCC and singlethreaded on Clang.
    Yep. GCC supports OpenMP, Clang doesn't.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Posts
    99

    Question Where is EKOPath?

    In Phoronix once much talked about thing was EKOPath compiler being open-sourced. Now where is it? Why don't Michel adding EKOPath to this compiler benchmarks? Why is that once what is so talked about, now is cold dust?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
    In Phoronix once much talked about thing was EKOPath compiler being open-sourced. Now where is it? Why don't Michel adding EKOPath to this compiler benchmarks? Why is that once what is so talked about, now is cold dust?
    The nightly build on their website hasn't been updated since July... and that build has a broken installer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    I'm not seeing it written on the benchmark page (it should be): when these tests are compiled, is it just the app being tested that's compiled with the named compiler, or all dependencies as well? (I don't think Clang yet builds a working Linux kernel, but if it does, then it'd be noteworthy to know if the whole OS was compiled with each compiler or not -- specific versions and all.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    I'm not seeing it written on the benchmark page (it should be): when these tests are compiled, is it just the app being tested that's compiled with the named compiler, or all dependencies as well? (I don't think Clang yet builds a working Linux kernel, but if it does, then it'd be noteworthy to know if the whole OS was compiled with each compiler or not -- specific versions and all.)
    It's just the app, given that the Phoronix tests don't even try different optimization levels other than that which was set by default I'd say there's zero chance you'll see dependencies compiled using the corresponding compiler.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The nightly build on their website hasn't been updated since July... and that build has a broken installer.
    I built it from github.com/pathscale/path64-suite a while back but the code it generated was awfully slow. That said I don't know how representative this github version is of the proprietary compiler in terms of optimizations, maybe there's still alot more work to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •