Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Linux 3.2-rc1 Shouldn't Be "Hugely Scary"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,375

    Default Linux 3.2-rc1 Shouldn't Be "Hugely Scary"

    Phoronix: Linux 3.2-rc1 Shouldn't Be "Hugely Scary"

    The first release candidate of the Linux 3.2 kernel is now available. There's quite a number of branches and other changes that were merged during the Linux 3.2 window, but Linus says that it shouldn't be "hugely scary." Linus additionally says, "The fact that 3.1 dragged out did mean that this ended up being one of the bigger merge windows, but I'm not feeling *too* nervous about it."..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxMjc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    The I/O-less dirty throttling patchset by Wu Fengguang is, apparently, also included.

    https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/1/420

    This should be a major improvement for parallel heavy writers. Woo!

  3. #3

    Default

    I tried installing it, but it causes my laptop to fail to suspend-to-RAM. X blacks out and a blank, flashing-cursor screen comes up like normal, but it just sits there forever with the cursor flashing instead of actually falling asleep. I must hold the power button to get it to turn off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    It's running fine on my laptop but some tools have problems reading the cpu usage.

    i5 480M dualcore + HT here.
    htop for example shows 3 cores with 100% usage (there shouldn't be any usage) while the Load average is 0.04 0.05 0.05. How? Plain top does it better: it shows about 4% cpu usage.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Good that Linux is not too bloated then. Only a little bloated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    It's running fine on my laptop but some tools have problems reading the cpu usage.
    Also the problem with writing to usb devices is still there: The desktop becomes extremely unresponsive up to this point (Copying some music to a Nexus S):
    Code:
    [102340.263157] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102340.263162] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102340.263167] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102340.263174]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102340.263182]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102340.263188]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102340.263198] Call Trace:
    [102340.263253]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102340.263266]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102340.263272]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102340.263281]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102340.263285]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102340.263290]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102340.263296]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102340.263300]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102340.263305]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102340.263310]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102459.958019] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102459.959273] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102459.960497] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102459.960505]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102459.960513]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102459.960519]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102459.960525] Call Trace:
    [102459.960572]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102459.960587]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102459.960595]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102459.960605]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102459.960611]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102459.960616]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102459.960623]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102459.960628]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102459.960634]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102459.960640]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102579.652777] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102579.652782] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102579.652786] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102579.652792]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102579.652798]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102579.652804]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102579.652809] Call Trace:
    [102579.652903]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102579.652915]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102579.652923]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102579.652933]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102579.652938]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102579.652943]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102579.652948]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102579.652953]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102579.652957]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102579.652962]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102699.347658] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102699.348719] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102699.349831] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102699.349838]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102699.349846]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102699.349852]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102699.349858] Call Trace:
    [102699.349907]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102699.349922]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102699.349929]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102699.349939]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102699.349945]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102699.349951]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102699.349958]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102699.349964]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102699.349969]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102699.349975]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    It would be nice if somebody would fix this usb disk i/o stuff once for all.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Also the problem with writing to usb devices is still there: The desktop becomes extremely unresponsive up to this point (Copying some music to a Nexus S):
    Code:
    [102340.263157] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102340.263162] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102340.263167] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102340.263174]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102340.263182]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102340.263188]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102340.263198] Call Trace:
    [102340.263253]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102340.263266]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102340.263272]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102340.263281]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102340.263285]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102340.263290]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102340.263296]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102340.263300]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102340.263305]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102340.263310]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102459.958019] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102459.959273] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102459.960497] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102459.960505]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102459.960513]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102459.960519]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102459.960525] Call Trace:
    [102459.960572]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102459.960587]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102459.960595]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102459.960605]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102459.960611]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102459.960616]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102459.960623]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102459.960628]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102459.960634]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102459.960640]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102579.652777] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102579.652782] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102579.652786] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102579.652792]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102579.652798]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102579.652804]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102579.652809] Call Trace:
    [102579.652903]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102579.652915]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102579.652923]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102579.652933]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102579.652938]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102579.652943]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102579.652948]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102579.652953]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102579.652957]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102579.652962]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    [102699.347658] INFO: task kwin:31160 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
    [102699.348719] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
    [102699.349831] kwin            D 0000000101d39c98     0 31160  29191 0x00000000
    [102699.349838]  ffff880006001e68 0000000000000082 ffff880000000000 ffffffffa00b6562
    [102699.349846]  ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8 ffff880006001fd8
    [102699.349852]  ffff88022e0cf300 ffff88022be78730 ffff880006001ea8 ffffffffa0014533
    [102699.349858] Call Trace:
    [102699.349907]  [<ffffffffa00b6562>] ? radeon_gem_busy_ioctl+0x92/0xd0 [radeon]
    [102699.349922]  [<ffffffffa0014533>] ? drm_ioctl+0x4e3/0x510 [drm]
    [102699.349929]  [<ffffffff8116efd3>] ? putname+0x33/0x50
    [102699.349939]  [<ffffffff81416e1f>] schedule+0x3f/0x60
    [102699.349945]  [<ffffffff814193d5>] rwsem_down_failed_common+0xc5/0x160
    [102699.349951]  [<ffffffff81419483>] rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102699.349958]  [<ffffffff8123e083>] call_rwsem_down_write_failed+0x13/0x20
    [102699.349964]  [<ffffffff81418aa5>] ? down_write+0x25/0x27
    [102699.349969]  [<ffffffff8112ef05>] sys_munmap+0x45/0x80
    [102699.349975]  [<ffffffff8141a602>] system_call_fastpath+0x16/0x1b
    It would be nice if somebody would fix this usb disk i/o stuff once for all.
    What USB controller are you using? I have never noticed a problem like that.

    Also, the suspend bug I mentioned earlier has been fixed in this commit: https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kern...c9f8299bb53584

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    What USB controller are you using? I have never noticed a problem like that.

    Also, the suspend bug I mentioned earlier has been fixed in this commit: https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kern...c9f8299bb53584
    I'm not sure if this is related to the usb chipset.
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)



    Here is a thread about those kind of problems:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=112846

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •