Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Mozilla Firefox 8.0 In The Wild

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,317

    Default Mozilla Firefox 8.0 In The Wild

    Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 8.0 In The Wild

    For those that missed it, besides today marking the release of Fedora 16, Mozilla Firefox 8.0 has been officially released...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxMjk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    768

    Default

    And? API/ABI broken? How many addons broke? Nothing works anymore? Asa Dotzler threatening to ban people who just dislike the idea of having no version numbers anymore?
    Automated upgrades if you want or not?
    Not to mention new security holes.
    And: why all this social media integration? Does anybody really make use of it? Can we build the browser without twitter stuff and so on? Twitter is 90% noise and maybe 10% relevant information.

    FF is going down the drain if they continue like this.
    Last edited by Adarion; 11-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    And: why all this social media integration?
    Because Mozilla is like a cigarette company. They need to target children and get them hooked early.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    Because Mozilla is like a cigarette company. They need to target children and get them hooked early.
    As opposed to Michael Moore banging on his Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard into Safari with his gutflab to shout out against tobacco companies.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    247

    Cool

    This topic flamed pretty early. O.o

    But yeah, they need to do something so that the plugins stop being auto turned off until the plugin developers update the string saying they're compatible, if they're going to keep on with this montly release.

    Adding another search engine in the list of options for search engines isn't that big a deal. Chill.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,025

    Default So much hate

    They already automatically bump version compatibility in all the addons hosted by Mozilla, so it's just the 3rd party ones that are still a problem, and they are planning to address this soon.

    And adding twitter to the list of default search providers hardly seems like a reach. These releases close security holes, more than open them.

    Pretty soon someone will stop by complaining that the version numbers are increasing too fast, as if that actually matters to anyone using a browser.

    I'm looking forward to FF9, which has a new type inference engine that speeds up performance.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    This topic flamed pretty early. O.o

    But yeah, they need to do something so that the plugins stop being auto turned off until the plugin developers update the string saying they're compatible, if they're going to keep on with this montly release.

    Adding another search engine in the list of options for search engines isn't that big a deal. Chill.
    Oh, you mean like Nightly Tester Tools https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-tester-tools/ which has only been around for forever and a day?

    Though addon and plugin devs have no excuse since it's damn simple to install the Aurora and Nightly builds and the release dates already well known.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    And? API/ABI broken? How many addons broke? Nothing works anymore? Asa Dotzler threatening to ban people who just dislike the idea of having no version numbers anymore?
    Automated upgrades if you want or not?
    Not to mention new security holes.
    And: why all this social media integration? Does anybody really make use of it? Can we build the browser without twitter stuff and so on? Twitter is 90% noise and maybe 10% relevant information.

    FF is going down the drain if they continue like this.
    Stop being such a dramaqueen. I am so sick of this absurd QQing about the new release cycle. Its called a time-based release cycle, get over it. Its not about the version number, and my addons have been working fine since ff4.

    I much prefer the new cycle tbh, the old one caused firefox to become far too stagnant compared to the competition. Firefox 3 was so behind the other browsers in regards to speed and the interface until 4 came out, and now they are doing a good job of getting improvements and features to the users faster.

    I never heard this complaining about chrome's release cycle, in fact it was recieved very well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Tried FF8 on Archlinux few days ago and quickly reverted back to FF7 after seeing the latest release consuming more than 2 GB of RAM. I suspect hardware acceleration being the main source of such memory leaks though. FF7 with acceleration disabled currently uses 133 MB. I can live without that hardware stuff because even now hwaccel test shows 60+ fps. They probably use XRender for that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reloaded211 View Post
    Tried FF8 on Archlinux few days ago and quickly reverted back to FF7 after seeing the latest release consuming more than 2 GB of RAM. I suspect hardware acceleration being the main source of such memory leaks though. FF7 with acceleration disabled currently uses 133 MB. I can live without that hardware stuff because even now hwaccel test shows 60+ fps. They probably use XRender for that.
    Yes, it uses XRender for 2D acceleration.

    The 3D acceleration you are talking about is only used for WebGL, which is hardly used on the web. So it's not the cause of your memory leaks, unless you were specifically on some webpage that uses 3D features, which i doubt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •