Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    openSUSE 12.1 is the first distribution officially supported by Catalyst to ship with GNOME3, and the status on this version is "preview". So these drivers work as advertised. Everything else is a bonus.
    Use either a distribution that is officially supported, or use the opensource drivers. Otherwise you're on your own. In which case you might want to use that time, wasted posting "it sucks" comments, constructively instead, by... Oh I don't know... Getting users of your distro to ask AMD to support it?
    It's insane that this has to be repeated for... EVERY... SINGLE... RELEASE... of Catalyst.
    Thank you for your funny, uplifting and nevertheless very important comment and the effort and energy you invested to make it a reality. You made my day

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available. To those complaining about gnome-shell not working with catalyst...... try the radeon driver. Works fine (if you can stand gnome-shell, it really sucks.)

    It seems that Michael started off saying something about the "recently released Fedora 11". That has now been changed to "recently released Fedora 17" --- sorry, no that's not right either. Fedora 17 won't be released for another nearly 6 months. Fedora 16 is the one that was recently released.

    Aside from all that.... hahahahahaha, you users of binary blob are funny.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available.
    Simple - the two drivers are focusing on different users and prioritizing different requirements. If you're a 3D workstation user the open source drivers probably don't do what you want, but Catalyst probably does. If you're looking for smooth integration with upstream development, the open source drivers are probably what you want.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    After update on Gentoo kernel 3.1.1 / radeon 4850 from xorg-server 1.10.4 to 1.11.x works stable but when I try to execute some move file ( doesn`t matter which extension ) kde 4.7.3 crashed , xorg server restarts and goes back to kdm login manager. Of course I recompiled drivers, mplayer, ffmpeg,etc and other libraries but it doesn`t work. System log file shows that everything is ok. So, after couple of hours I downgraded to former ver. xorg-server.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available. To those complaining about gnome-shell not working with catalyst...... try the radeon driver. Works fine (if you can stand gnome-shell, it really sucks.)

    It seems that Michael started off saying something about the "recently released Fedora 11". That has now been changed to "recently released Fedora 17" --- sorry, no that's not right either. Fedora 17 won't be released for another nearly 6 months. Fedora 16 is the one that was recently released.

    Aside from all that.... hahahahahaha, you users of binary blob are funny.
    I mostly agree but the thing that is holding me and many other people back is Power Management (E-350 APU notebook, HD 6870 desktop). Up to Linux 3.0 at least the profile low brought stuttering on my desktop and I didn't even have profiles on my notebook, but I see that at least for E-350 there seem to be some fixes in Linux 3.2.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I mostly agree but the thing that is holding me and many other people back is Power Management (E-350 APU notebook, HD 6870 desktop). Up to Linux 3.0 at least the profile low brought stuttering on my desktop and I didn't even have profiles on my notebook, but I see that at least for E-350 there seem to be some fixes in Linux 3.2.
    open source driver make Gnome going on fallback session for me, that's holding me...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default works with HD 5650

    on the positive side:
    this release is the first one since 11.4 that works with my HD 5650 (Acer Aspire Laptop)

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    @paproch

    was it a xv only problem or did it crash with gl output as well?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Simple - the two drivers are focusing on different users and prioritizing different requirements. If you're a 3D workstation user the open source drivers probably don't do what you want, but Catalyst probably does. If you're looking for smooth integration with upstream development, the open source drivers are probably what you want.
    I'm looking for a top notch desktop experience (tear-free and lag-free compositing), watching videos, and playing 3D games in Wine as well as native Linux ones. Which driver do I choose? I can't run both at the same time, obviously.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm looking for a top notch desktop experience (tear-free and lag-free compositing), watching videos, and playing 3D games in Wine as well as native Linux ones. Which driver do I choose? I can't run both at the same time, obviously.
    Mister, you go to wrong place. Instead, go to thread with the writing "nVidia" on it
    /s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •