No announcement yet.

Steel Storm 2 Game Coming For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, I won't work on such project. While there are game devs who will work on anything that people will want them to work on, I prefer working on what I like and if like minded people like playing it, cool. If not, the we will get something like Steel Storm, that turned out to be very niche game (I will probably not work on anything like Steel Storm, top-down arcade shooter with vehicles only, for years to come).

Well, the mankind has been using gold and silver through all it's history and about 100 years ago paper bills and nickel coins were invented (which by itself have no value).

Comment

Hi motorsep. Just want to say I will be putting in a pre-order very soon for this. Loved Steel Storm (got it from HiB #3) and am interested in an FPS take on things, so good luck!

Though I have to ask...

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      Although, you will never ever see any of my games associated with HIB / Wolfire, ever.
      I think I read you make this comment as well on OMGUbuntu. What happened to sour your opinion of the HiB/Wolfire? You can't just say that and leave us waiting!

Comment

I am sorry I am not gonna elaborate more. There is an interview with me on Gaming on Linux and there are some details about the issue. Btw, thanks for loving Steel Storm

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          gold as a currency is useless. (read NO PRACTICAL USE FROM THE GOLD like anti-rust-protection)
          Gold makes nice shiny things and fraudulent television ads starring celebrities. Bitcoin as a currency is useless, unless you have a botnet you are using to mine them and then sell them off for real money.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Why dont post a little video how the game should look like? I mean $20 is pretty much for an indy shooter, should be something special then. I bought the first game via a bundle, fun as long as i played it, which was not that far, would have got needed some cheats Which game engine is used? How many levels? Cool bosses? Multiplayer? Weapons? Cutscenes? Expected play time... A little bit more info would not hurt.
            20$ much for an Indie game ? You have to be kidding me. Do you remember what Runic Games asked for when Torchlight was out? Yep, about the same amount. Even if the guys that made the company are known for the Diablo series, the company was and still is pretty much "Indie".

Want another example ? Here it is, it's called "Frozen Synapse" and it's one heck of a game. The soundtrack reminds me of the original Deus Ex. They sell it for 20 + EUR.

Have a look on Desura. You will see products that are priced the same or lower. 20 buckaroos are not too shabby for a good old style shooter. I'm also a sucker for good deals. If all goes well my 5$ will accomplish these:

1) help Linux as a gaming platform
            2) help an indie dev that has proven they can put out solid products
            3) get me a good game for free

If something goes wrong, I've only lost 5$.

Comment

Frozen Synapse is a stupid game, i am glad that i only payed 1 cent for it...

Comment

Steelstorm 1 was not really my kind of game.
                I bought it to support a Linux friendly developer, but never ended up playing it much.
                Steelstorm 2 sounds much more interesting to me, and I will make sure to follow its progress and also pre-order it if I like what I see
                Keep up the great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Frozen Synapse is a stupid game, i am glad that i only payed 1 cent for it...
                  So, in the end, your 1 cent purchase ended up costing the Humble Bundle folks money. Good sport.

Comment

Old spirit -> new ideas ?

motorsep,

in the first place it warms my heart to hear of an FPS with focus on singleplayer for my favourite OS. Thanks for that even if nothing has been released yet. Something with the "good old spirit" can mean something good and bad at the same time. If "done right" (whatever this means) the old grunts like me will get the same fuzzy warm feeling we had when playing Doom, Unreal, Quake and so on. If "done wrong" it can feel pretty boring.

The art for you will be to make it feel "done right"

Not an easy task if you ask me.

I am sorry guys, but I know what I want in my game. This is not a "community is making the game and one dev is implementing it" project. Be patient and you shall see it And after that you can decide whether you want to play it or not.
                    True, no community input should take away too much attention of the developer from his project, but a dev might listen to the ideas people post and use them for his game. Personally I like some of the ideas Qaridarium posted. My core competencies are not releated to anything with game design but take my word as a FPS gamer from the very right beginning: Beside an exchangable storyline (or no story at all = Quake) any set of boring exchangable weapons, similar to found on any 3D shooter out there, will easily sign the death contract for even bigger games.

Want peoples money ? Then provide a rich feature set, a good storyline and innovative weapons plus modding options.

I'd love to see some examples of good singleplayer FPS games, free, for Linux.
                    That's a simple one...there are no games like that

The best SP FPS I know so far are all not running natively under Linux (beside those with Unreal Engine):
                    - Unreal
                    - Halflife
                    - Halflife II plus Episode 1+2
                    - System Shock
                    - Deus Ex

Coop Quake-Mods I play for fun which work well for single player as well:
                    - Darkplaces with SDQuake (= Serious Sam Feeling)
                    - Darkplaces with Kleshik (= not compareable to any game out there)

Want our money in the first place prior releasing anything ?
                    -> Show us new ideas / new concepts

Want us to buy your game after release ?
                    -> Make a great game with new ideas and new concepts as well.

Many people are fed up with the lastest XXX clone of YYY type of game. So it is more or less a good base for those game developers which provide either something completely new (thats a hard one), something which produces a warm fuzzy feeling (for those old gaming grunts) or may be a blend of both.

Sorry for the long rant,
                    D$

Comment

@who_me

first of all, i had the old frozen bundle before, therefore i only wanted to test that game. why should i spend so much money that i get the same bundle that i have got already again? all i wanted was to check if the game runs with kanotix. well it did not with 64 bit + snb until i wrote a litte hotfix script. now it runs, but i dont play the game. i asked if you could get the game as addon to the old bundle, that was not the case, so what would you do? i mainly verify just that the games run, thats all.

Comment

Working...
                      X