Mutter, GTK+ Advance For GNOME 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Is there any indexing that doesn't suck?
    updatedb/locate
    Its fairly light and doesn't go into the files in too much detail.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      updatedb/locate
      The only time I ran Beagle was long enough to notice Mandriva GNOME used it, and it was taking over 200 megabytes of RAM and causing disk thrashing and high CPU usage. Tracker is much much better, but I prefer no indexing at all.

Comment

updatedb/locate
        I kind of use that but it's very basic.

Often advanced globbing of zsh is really enaugh. Want to edit a source file of which you know the name but have no idea where it is?
        Code:
        vim src/**/*some-unique-beginnning-of-a-fil[tab][tab]
        This would be so much better on a SSD.

Comment

updatedb/locate
          That only indexes the names of files and does nothing to address the problems of desktop search. If you already know the name of the file you are searching for and don't mind using grep to sort the output then it's ok, but other then that it's completely worthless and does not come remotely close to addressing the problems Beagle was attempting to solve.

Beagle has been replaced long time ago with Tracker as far as Gnome is concerned.

Tracker indexes filenames, content, mimetypes, and other metadata. Programs can use it for doing things like locating all the music files in your home directory.

It's fast, only uses a fraction of the RAM beagle did, and is now pretty mature and low-impact. It has no problems even running on a very low-resource machine.

I've used it with Rygel for automatically indexing all my media files and then sharing them out on the local LAN using uPNP. That way my PS3 can autodiscover them and I can watch all my downloaded movies and listen to music in the living room without having to hook anything extra up. No configuration, no farting around with transcoding scripts, or abhorent web GUIs, just starts and goes. No effort.

It's pretty cool stuff.

Zeitgeist will use it also.

That way you can use the same search/indexing back end for a lot of different applications.

Comment

and the ONLY way to make that version work was to kill beagle DIE DIE DIE YOU MOTHERF***ING MUTT!!!!
            I have to admit I lol'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              That only indexes the names of files and does nothing to address the problems of desktop search. If you already know the name of the file you are searching for and don't mind using grep to sort the output then it's ok, but other then that it's completely worthless and does not come remotely close to addressing the problems Beagle was attempting to solve.

Beagle has been replaced long time ago with Tracker as far as Gnome is concerned.

Tracker indexes filenames, content, mimetypes, and other metadata. Programs can use it for doing things like locating all the music files in your home directory.

It's fast, only uses a fraction of the RAM beagle did, and is now pretty mature and low-impact. It has no problems even running on a very low-resource machine.

I've used it with Rygel for automatically indexing all my media files and then sharing them out on the local LAN using uPNP. That way my PS3 can autodiscover them and I can watch all my downloaded movies and listen to music in the living room without having to hook anything extra up. No configuration, no farting around with transcoding scripts, or abhorent web GUIs, just starts and goes. No effort.

It's pretty cool stuff.

Zeitgeist will use it also.

That way you can use the same search/indexing back end for a lot of different applications.
              I love tracker but I wish my feelings were reciprocated by the gnome devs. Gnome needs tracker.
              Also, I've had no luck getting rygel to be recognized with my xbox360. Any tips?

Comment

Are you kidding me? My PS3 can play like 5% of all the downloaded movies (what's that? mkv you say? I say, "NAAAY!") without transcoding. Mediatomb can transcode (via ffmpeg/mplayer of course) but that support also changes depending on the version of the codec. Plus it also means that I am unable to fast-forward/rewind in the files. If anything goes wrong with the transcoding I'm unable to resume where I was, etc etc etcet ecet eceteac gAAAAhAhAHAHAHH!

Well, simply put, the PS3 is the worst piece of shit media-player there ever was, and Sony is all to blame. I resigned and bought a TVix for 100 dollars (600 Swedish kronor) and suddenly Christ has come down upon my apartment and LAN and blessed me with playback that actually works without hours of configuration. And I'm actually an atheist!

Edit: woops, slightly off topic...

Comment

Are you kidding me? My PS3 can play like 5% of all the downloaded movies (what's that? mkv you say? I say, "NAAAY!") without transcoding. Mediatomb can transcode (via ffmpeg/mplayer of course) but that support also changes depending on the version of the codec. Plus it also means that I am unable to fast-forward/rewind in the files. If anything goes wrong with the transcoding I'm unable to resume where I was, etc etc etcet ecet eceteac gAAAAhAhAHAHAHH!
                  Put down the crack pipe or stop snorting crushed Ritalin or whatever you do before you start going down that particular mental rabbit hole.

Rygel transcodes media on the fly. It uses gstreamer, which can use ffmpeg or a half a dozen other codec libraries. I believe that ffwd and reverse works. Can't double check that now.

Edit: woops, slightly off topic...
                  Slightly off topic, but very silly.

Also, I've had no luck getting rygel to be recognized with my xbox360. Any tips?
                  Sorry, I don't have a xbox360 so I don't know.

I love tracker but I wish my feelings were reciprocated by the gnome devs. Gnome needs tracker.
                  Yes. But I think the problem is that nobody has really exposed a transparent way to integrate desktop search. So unless you want to go out of your way to use it then it's just going to use up resources. Not a big hitter like beagle, but still reading files and indexing things does cause some contention.

Hopefully Zeitgeist and related software will provide the integration that tracker needs to be made 'turned on by default' and get a bit more love.
                  Last edited by drag; 23 November 2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Put down the crack pipe or stop snorting crushed Ritalin or whatever you do before you start going down that particular mental rabbit hole.
                    Rygel transcodes media on the fly. It uses gstreamer, which can use ffmpeg or a half a dozen other codec libraries.
                    Well, that ignorant comment still doesn't change the fact that transcoding "on the fly" still suffers from the drawbacks I mentioned in my post. Well, I have to get back to the Ritalin now...

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      Well, that ignorant comment still doesn't change the fact that transcoding "on the fly" still suffers from the drawbacks I mentioned in my post. Well, I have to get back to the Ritalin now...

Actually it does, when done properly.

The way mediatomb does it is very primitive.

As far as being ignorant, I am not the one that is talking shit about software I never used or even heard of before.

Comment

Working...
                      X