Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Default KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Phoronix: KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Yesterday in Darmstadt, Germany I met up with Martin Grlin, the developer known for leading KDE's KWin compositing window manager advancements, and a few other Linux developers. A few words about KDE on Wayland were said...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxOTE

Is there any support for OpenGL under Wayland? I wonder how it impact performance of games.

As of now, Wayland only runs on the KMS driver infrastructure, which basically means slow gaming performance no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    As of now, Wayland only runs on the KMS driver infrastructure, which basically means slow gaming performance no matter what.
    Ok, but what about Nouveau or Radeon ? Radeon has proven itself to be capable in some bench. That what I wanted to know, the performance of these drivers between X and Wayland. I guess both use DRM the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
    That statement is completely false, unless you mean all 3D drivers in Mesa are slow.

On Wayland, you can use EGL to get a hardware accelerated OpenGL or GL ES 2 context, for example.

Michael: why don't you quit talking about tizen. Its not going anywhere and intel knows it. That's why they have already moved on from it to.... ANDROID.

The article quality is very low this time. It lacks coverage of the menu card and the amounts of beer you drank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabauke View Post
    The article quality is very low this time. It lacks coverage of the menu card and the amounts of beer you drank.
    I had a goose leg and Darmstadt Ratskeller Bock. Martin had an apple juice (he rarely drinks alcohol due to personal reasons). The others had a variety. Darmstadt Ratskeller beer isn't too bad, not as good as Bavarian but still decent.

/all offtopic

Originally, I meant it ironically.
    Nevermind

I'm currently in SD, I rarely see any decent food not to mention beer over here.
    Seems, I am too spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabauke View Post
    /all offtopic

Originally, I meant it ironically.
    Nevermind

I'm currently in SD, I rarely see any decent food not to mention beer over here.
    Seems, I am too spoiled.
    There's a mediocre brewery downtown by the W hotel. There's also a good beer store if you go a ways out like 15 miles or so north/north-east of downtown. But yeah overall it's not too good.