Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating A Software Center For Fedora

Hybrid View

Default Debating A Software Center For Fedora

Phoronix: Debating A Software Center For Fedora

There's an active discussion on the Fedora mailing list concerning a "software center" for Fedora Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyMDA

a common software center for all package based distros (and if possible for all distros) would be the best thing to happen to linux

the implementation of something like that would probably be a bit tricky

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    a common software center for all package based distros (and if possible for all distros) would be the best thing to happen to linux

Isn't this what Project Bretzn is supposed to be about? Anyone know whatever happened with that?

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post

isnt this what packagekit was going to do ? seems that will never happen. and why would all linux look or act the same ? then why have so many distros? just kill those with little marketshare and then all linux will look the same.

if i wanted a distro that behaves and looks like ubuntu then i would use ubuntu.

imo the only duplication that should be killed is the RPM vs DEB fiasco. They should unify this crap into one, maybe something like "dpm" ?

anyway Ubuntu software center is going to be so good in the next releases, so am sticking with it.

Presence of one-click "application-center" is what distinguishes user-friendly os from developer-only os.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Presence of one-click "application-center" is what distinguishes user-friendly os from developer-only os.
    Windows doesn't have one and it seems to be doing alright...

However I'm in 100% agreeance that small OS's (ok anything that's not Windows) need to do everything they can to interest users and keep them excited. The amount of software available on Fedora/Ubuntu is staggering but I think most (especially new but also experienced) users have no idea. Some sort of "what's new", "what's hot" type listings would go a long way to building that connection between developer/packager and the users.

Although the current UI to install and uninstall apps in fedora sucks, it is fast. Ubuntu Software center is always slow when I test it I know that the new software center for 11.10 is a lot faster than the previous ones but still isn't as fast as I would like, with fedora I just limit myself to install stuff via yum.
    Last edited by josian_220; 11-26-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leif81 View Post
    Windows doesn't have one and it seems to be doing alright...
    Windows 8 introduces an appstore. With that, all major OSs now sport a software-center as a first party component - all major OSs bar Fedora, that is.

Since Fedora doesn't promote proprietary software and Digital Handcuffs like Ubuntu does, what would be the point?

Default Software Centers in Linux

One of the things that has always bothered me with Software centers in Linux has always been that there is no single software center, nor is there a universal package manager. Something I would love to see done (I don't yet have the skills for it, so I can't work on it quite yet) is to have a software center that isn't controlled by any one company or community, that would (or at least would be great if it was) taken up by most distributions, and have their package managers tie into it in some way so that you could interface with it almost any way you wanted to but still have access to the packages everyone else had. That way people could choose their own package managers without worrying about not being able to get a piece of software under a new manager that they could with their old. Another good thing about that would be that their wouldn't be different "worlds" under each distribution where they keep different versions of different software. I dunno, just throwing my two (or maybe three) cents in.