Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
This does not necessarily mean if you'll try to build any of these packages with latest gcc and -O3 the resulting binary will be completely broken, the breakage might only occur with older gcc versions, only on some arches, or even only in some corner use cases.
Are these filters removed once someone validates them against a newer compiler or will they remain in the list indefinitely? Would be interesting to know how old some of these flag filters are which you mentioned.

The thing is, in order for a flag to be filtered someone must report a bug of the resulting binary not working properly while working when compiling with -O2.
Any chance you could point me to the bug report for VisualboyAdvance? I did extensive benchmarking tests with this against Mess's gba implementation not that long ago and encountered no problems at all using -O3.

Long story short, optimization should not theoretically affect what the code does, but every gcc branch has known bugs, and O3 being not officially recommended and not so widely used as O2 will contain even more undiscovered bugs.
Yes every compiler has bugs, that's inescapable given the complexity of what they are doing. However I can't say I've encountered many bugs due to -O3 when compiling packages, I have encountered many instances where -O3 generates slower code than -O2 though.

P.S. it might be that locovaca was referring to the effects of -fast-math when saying O3 code will compute 2+2=5, but that's not enabled by O3. only -Ofast enables fast-math that will break almost any program that is not a game or multimedia codec.
Actually, I've used -ffast-math for things like Blender and it generated indentical output to that of not using it (although I was merely rendering using BI, not using any of the simulation engines), it depends on the precision required by the application. I'd say there are by far fewer programs out there that will break or generate faulty output due to loss of precision than those for which it will.