Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Evergreen HDMI audio success, need testers

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Thanks for your work, Zajec!

    Unfortunately, very same as FunkyRider, I was once purchasing card for open driver, and had to pick 4770, cause Evergreens were not supported at all back then.
    That way, I would be using 5770 already, but thanks to ATI/AMD it was not to happen. Fglrx is not an option, maybe its improved, but its still unlikely on par to green stuff. Even if it matches, green stuff has wider selection of pieces covered. Nothing new here.

    If SIMD-based HD8xxx will be released and supported by opensource, thanks to documentation and cooperation from AMD, I may purchase one in the future. 7xxx is not an option due to VLIW driver difficulty as far as I understand; purchasing 79xx for sake of very slow driver - is same error I did with 4770, so Im looking to 8xxx. AMD has all time of the world

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    118

    Default Update on needed dumps?

    Is there a list available indicating which hardware has sufficient dumps provided vs hardware that still needs attention? I've got a 5670 but I saw a comment somewhere suggesting audio supposedly already works with that model (I haven't tested it).

    Edit: I also have a A4-3400 Llano but that's my file server and don't want to take it offline for testing unless it would actually be of value.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
    Is there a list available indicating which hardware has sufficient dumps provided vs hardware that still needs attention? I've got a 5670 but I saw a comment somewhere suggesting audio supposedly already works with that model (I haven't tested it).
    It's not that simple, sometimes the same card can be used in different configurations which makes dumps different. And I have to figure out how to program hardware correctly in every configuration.

    I've received dumps for about 5-10 cards and hopefully figured everything out correctly.

    The patches in (hopefully) final form was already posted, you can read more about this on:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAyNDY
    http://zajec.net/blog/view/2011-evergreen-hdmi-audio

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    43

    Default

    I have a XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB, which I understand is Evergreen (Its a Juniper XT), so I'm wondering why Audio is not working.

    he's the lspci spam

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper XT [AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

    As you can see the audio portion is 5700, but when I enable radeon.audio=1 in grub, and try it on my HDMI TV
    (24" Bush LED LCD)

    Its silent and plays like 3x normal speed (As seen from the position indicator in music players)

    I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?

    Lemonzest

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Funeralopolis
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonzest View Post
    I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?
    Lemonzest
    Yep, you need 3.5.x for reliably working HDMI audio on 5xxx or 6xxx series cards. I had a 5700 which also showed the sympthoms you describe. Starting with 3.5.x I never had that issues again. Also HDMI-audion on my new 6850 is working like a charm with 3.5.x kernel.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonzest View Post
    I have a XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB, which I understand is Evergreen (Its a Juniper XT), so I'm wondering why Audio is not working.

    he's the lspci spam

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper XT [AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

    As you can see the audio portion is 5700, but when I enable radeon.audio=1 in grub, and try it on my HDMI TV
    (24" Bush LED LCD)

    Its silent and plays like 3x normal speed (As seen from the position indicator in music players)

    I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?

    Lemonzest
    For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same or similar bug with F17's 3.5.3 kernel and a Radeon HD 5570. Occasionally, I do get the first word of the ALSA test sounds to play (i.e. "Front" in Front_Right.wav), but the sound cuts out abruptly. Maybe it's a buffer management issue.

    I'll probably file a bug report when I'm feeling less lazy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •