Thread: GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Hybrid View

Default GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Phoronix: GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

Epiphany, the web-browser for the GNOME desktop, is receiving a rather significant facelift as it becomes more important to the GNOME3 desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyMzQ

So now instead of one click with the old tabbed browsing interface, we need to not only click 2x as much, but we need to navigate a full screen of thumbnails to find the page we want.. how is this easier?

epiphany already sucks anyways. most people use firefox/chrome/opera anyway, and if you really need better gtk integration use midori.

Personally, I use Konqueror for most of my browsing. I say go for it with trying to prove you don't need to be Apple or Mozilla to put together a decent web browser!

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    if you really need better gtk integration use midori.
    I think that this is an important point. The only way for Epiphany to go foward is to radically apart from the other browsers as we already have so many of them with Midori being a perfect replacement for those who liked the old-Epiphany. The less-popular browsers have the most freedom to expireiment as they don't have many to disapoint. I think that Gnome is doing overall a good job on this matter. Elementary (and other alternative Gnome apps) used to have very similar desing goals as the offical Gnome apps. Not anymore. Thanks to that we have less dublication of applications and more real choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    I think that this is an important point. The only way for Epiphany to go foward is to radically apart from the other browsers as we already have so many of them with Midori being a perfect replacement for those who liked the old-Epiphany. The less-popular browsers have the most freedom to expireiment as they don't have many to disapoint. I think that Gnome is doing overall a good job on this matter. Elementary (and other alternative Gnome apps) used to have very similar desing goals as the offical Gnome apps. Not anymore. Thanks to that we have less dublication of applications and more real choice.
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking when I saw this new mockup. they are just trying to differentiate the browser, because right now its pretty redundant. I think it looks interesting, some people will probably like it quite a bit. Controlling tabs with ctrl tab looks like it will work pretty well. Could be a really nice minimalist netbook/touchpad type browser. Not the type of browser I'd use, but I bet half the people complaining about this mockup don't even use epiphany in the first place
    Last edited by bwat47; 12-05-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks the dear God that nether Chrome nor Firefox are owned by Gnome.
    They can do whatever shit they like with their Epiphany and be the sole users of it.
    If fact eventually Gnome developers/designers will be left to became sole users of it.
    And then we users will be finally happy with user friendly software and recall the
    mad Gnome days when you had to pray everyday that they keep that or that feature that you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by gururise View Post
    So now instead of one click with the old tabbed browsing interface, we need to not only click 2x as much, but we need to navigate a full screen of thumbnails to find the page we want.. how is this easier?
    It's a trend also in Unity & Gnome 3 where they sacrifice ease of use in favor of design, style & beauty, which imo is wrong, because "usability" (as in "easy and quick") must always be top priority well above design, beauty and style.
    Plus, the drive to use a lowest common denominator (for tablets, phones & desktops) makes usability as a whole even worse, at least on desktops.