Thread: A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

Default A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

Phoronix: A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

A new Intel kernel frame-buffer driver has been published to the Linux kernel mailing list. However, this driver isn't for the current-generation Intel graphics hardware, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, or even for the notorious PowerVR-based Poulsbo...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyNDc

....What the heck.

Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.
    I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgui View Post
    I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.
    I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).

A wishlist for old things?

- Multitexturing for Matrox, the KMS/DRI2 wouldn't hurt either.
    - XVMC for i810
    - Proper S3 X driver

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).
    Woo, I have a DEC Alpha on my shelf! I haven't a clue what to do with it.

I played GLQuake on an i740 back in the day. I still have one but it's buried somewhere under more useful hardware.