Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,788

    Default A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

    Phoronix: A New Linux Frame-Buffer Driver Appears For Intel

    A new Intel kernel frame-buffer driver has been published to the Linux kernel mailing list. However, this driver isn't for the current-generation Intel graphics hardware, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, or even for the notorious PowerVR-based Poulsbo...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyNDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    ....What the heck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

    But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Why not, it might be a fun small project, and hey, I'd rather have more hardware supported than less.

    But I like how Michael posts this as "news", and then proceeds to tear it down basically saying that this is not news, or not interesting at all.
    I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

    I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tgui View Post
    I like it when Michael posts things like this. A little nostalgia in the morning is nice

    I'll disagree with his negative stance on this product. I had one and OpenGL games worked just fine on it! I had built computers for scrap for years and got the i740 in my Micron 440BX, Pentium II 400 with Ultra2 SCSI.... ahhh... SCSI, to be able to burn a CD, play an MP3 and play Quake 2 on NT 4.0. With my external SCSI Plextor CD burner I was the king of the dorm.
    I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    A wishlist for old things?

    - Multitexturing for Matrox, the KMS/DRI2 wouldn't hurt either.
    - XVMC for i810
    - Proper S3 X driver

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I also have no problem with someone working on this. Hopefully this person manages to eventually convert it to KMS, but even if they're just using it as a learning project, that works too. If they want a follow-up project, I'd love KMS + DRI2 for my 3dfx Voodoo 3 (currently installed in my Alpha PWS).
    Woo, I have a DEC Alpha on my shelf! I haven't a clue what to do with it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default

    I played GLQuake on an i740 back in the day. I still have one but it's buried somewhere under more useful hardware.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •