Thread: First Release Of Open-Source Blu-Ray Library

Hybrid View

Default First Release Of Open-Source Blu-Ray Library

Phoronix: First Release Of Open-Source Blu-Ray Library

The libbluray project put out its first official release a few weeks ago. This open-source (GNU GPLv2) library is intended to support Blu-Ray disc playback by media players such as VLC and MPlayer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyNjQ

Just a warning. More VLC nonsense.

Requires an entire Java JRE. Doesn't actually play any Blu Ray discs.

If VLC works at all for you and you don't want a few hundred megs of Java for a Blu Ray library that does nothing, install vlc (in Ubuntu anyway) with --no-install-recommends.

Default Seriously?

Dude... Blu-ray menus are written in Java. No duh you need java to have menu support.
    And the bluray library only works with the libaac and key if you want to play commerial blurays.

THANK YOU VLC and DOOM9 GUYS!

So now I have VLC which doesn't even work properly on my system.

AND a Blu Ray library that does nothing, unless (apparently) I decide to commit a United States Federal felony. (DMCA)

SUUUPER!

Default DVDs

It's the same as the DVD stuff.

I never recall stating that the VLC people care about the law. They don't. It's not only illegal (in the US anyway) to distribute it fully functional, but it violates literally dozens of US software patents. (MP3 alone still has more than you'd think would be reasonable given that it is obsolete, and that's only one codec.)

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Requires an entire Java JRE. Doesn't actually play any Blu Ray discs.
    AFAIK --enable-bdjava is not even the default for libbluray. Anyway, switch it off if you don't need it. As others have mentioned, libbluray needs libaacs and a KEYDB.cfg to be able to play encrypted BDs (virtually all of them). Newer ones might still not be supported. Also not supported are discs using BD+ which would need libbdplus. It's not publicly available and even the version you can't download doesn't really work. So no, Blurays still are not something you can just play with normal software. And yes, in the US you can go to jail for watching a movie you bought. Welcome to the Land of the Free.

I need it for makemkv and mplayer to rip/play BD...

[ebuild R ] media-libs/libbluray-0.2.1 USE="java xine xml -aacs -static-libs -utils" 0 kB
    Works fine for months already.

Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    I need it for makemkv and mplayer to rip/play BD...

Works fine for months already.
    yeah makemkv is really good for a beta product for simply and quickly getting your DVD/BR content into a single usable MKV form with mpeg2/h264, AAC, and subs etc all in the single mkv container for later ffmpeg processing or even direct real time LAN ( or WAN if you have that kind of upload rate) streaming with that included functionality
    Last edited by popper; 12-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.