Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Kontera ads are not even displayed as long as you've been logged into the forums recently... It's automatically turned off if you have the Phoronix Forums user cookie set.

What's the problem with seeing Microsoft ads? No one is forcing you to click it and I don't believe I have ever seen an intrusive Microsoft ad, yet they pay a fair amount of money compared to some of the other companies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIqoXfPx6o

Yeah. I think that sums up my objection to Microsoft skyscraper flash ads. Those insipid bandwidth suckers also chew up bandwidth allotment, which must be fun for people on metered connections like some cable companies like to do.

@Micheael its a stupid idea to fight against poor people with no money and slow Internet and slow pcs with a ad-blocker. so please stop this. this is just anti-social.

I'm only allergic against ads with sound.
    i don't use a ad-blocker at all but if there is a ad with sound i leave the page instantly.
    a ad-blocker which allows advertising is just useless LOL.
    i know some people NEED a ad-blocker really much.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    @Micheael its a stupid idea to fight against poor people with no money and slow Internet and slow pcs with a ad-blocker. so please stop this. this is just anti-social. .
    Phoronix isn't a charity.

Are there Microsoft ads on this site? OMG

Please fix premium instead of wasting your time with stupid anti-adblock scripts: your users aren't stupid and know very well how to use greasemonkey or privoxy.
    Ridiculously there is still no way to support this site without having to be tracked by stupid ads.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Im actually proud (no sarcasm) it is not. Love Phoronix.
    I use noscript + adblock combo to prevent js-based spyware and intrusive ads over the internet, because when you surf for fun, no one knows that you could encounter.
    As mentioned before Phoronix is long whitelisted.

I guess I should think about donating to Palant, that "non-intrusive ad" idea is really not very bright. A soap that does not clean "acceptable dirt"... Its far better the owner himself what clothes are better to clean and what not.

There's a donate button somewhere , I even managed to donate once. It's only for the brave ones that manage to find it though :P

I've said this before, how hard is it to have a decent sized donate button , on the top frame , maybe at the end of each article: "did you like this : donate".

We don't all need/want Phoronix premium nor do I need/want to see the adds but I am prepared to make a donation from time to time.

sure but tell me why not? I'm sure you get nothing if you fight against poor people.
    every intelligent persons need to do some charity because: just imagine you are on the other side. just use your brain use your Mirror neurons.

you will get nothing with this senseless fight.
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 12-13-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    sure but tell me why not?
    Because I have expenses too.... I don't work up to 100 hours per week for the hell of it.

Because I have expenses too.... I don't work up to 100 hours per week for the hell of it.
    you don't get my argument. your income will not grow !
    your supporters already support you i for example i donate in the past and i don't have ad-block.
    but if someone don't want help you you will not get any cent/dollar/euro
    its just a waste of time.

so please don't waste your time.

It's because ad-blocking is inherently immoral. If someone is providing a free service that tons of people use that require some sort of income then ads provide that income (i.e. enough to pay off the server costs). Donations do not cut it and are generally never enough. Very simply ads that aren't intrusive i.e. a top ad and a side ad like on the site I am a part of (Linked for ad proof) I don't think are wrong and I don't think people should typically be blocking them because they're using our site / services for free and we cannot provide those without any income. Even then, ads aren't really enough.

If you wish to see a lack of free sites or anything providing free content by all means block every ad. In this economy nobody donates.

That said, ads such as popups or intrusive ads that get in the middle of your content isn't so innocent and by all means feel free to block it.