Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NoEffex View Post
    It's because ad-blocking is inherently immoral.
    the hole money system and the FED and all capitalism is immoral.

making a child is immoral (because you destroy the earth because of this)

all is immoral. breathing is immoral you pollute CO2 ...

if all its immoral then its just a invalid point

If someone is providing a free service that tons of people use that require some sort of income then ads provide that income (i.e. enough to pay off the server costs). Donations do not cut it and are generally never enough. Very simply ads that aren't intrusive i.e. a top ad and a side ad like on the site I am a part of (Linked for ad proof) I don't think are wrong and I don't think people should typically be blocking them because they're using our site / services for free and we cannot provide those without any income. Even then, ads aren't really enough.
    If you wish to see a lack of free sites or anything providing free content by all means block every ad. In this economy nobody donates.
    That said, ads such as popups or intrusive ads that get in the middle of your content isn't so innocent and by all means feel free to block it.
    you don't get my point there are poor people with no money and super slow Internet ads just eat the slow Internet completely also ads consume energy this means it consumes money REAL money this means you hurt poor people by burning there money!

turn of ads is valid if you are poor or if you do have slow Internet.

hurt poor people is immoral! (ok bad joke because all is immoral)

It is just not friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Because I have expenses too.... I don't work up to 100 hours per week for the hell of it.
    There is nothing wrong with making a living and the fact you can actually pay to get rid of the ad's is really nice!

Since I found the ad's really annoying I paid for a full year to get all the contend without the distraction, however since 95% of my visits are to the front-page only and my interests are not really in the forums I still got stuck with ad's on a site I paid for....

In the end I actually installed ad-block-plus because I was so annoyed by the ad's on phoronix.....

In other words please spend some time on the premium part, I think it will make you more money and keeps a base of dedicated users happy!

It's because ad-blocking is inherently immoral.
    And expecting your users to accept everything you throw at them in the name of "you're not paying me" isn't? Well, your later qualification of "blocking annoying ads is ok" invalidates your statement anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    And expecting your users to accept everything you throw at them in the name of "you're not paying me" isn't? Well, your later qualification of "blocking annoying ads is ok" invalidates your statement anyway.
    Wait, what? I said blocking ads that get in the way is significantly more reasonable than blocking ads that go in otherwise unused space.

I don't exactly understand what you're trying to get at, however. Judging from your tone it doesn't sound like you've ever had to run a site that has hundreds of thousands of members without any other form of income.

Also, most ads are loaded asynchronously via javascript so no it doesn't slow down the web page as it doesn't have to load the ads to load the page (and in fact it loads the page before it then loads the ad).
    Last edited by NoEffex; 12-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Because I have expenses too.... I don't work up to 100 hours per week for the hell of it.
    Maybe we can do something about some of those expenses. How much does your hosting cost and what are your requirements? Some of us might have suggestions on how to get similar quality hosting at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Maybe we can do something about some of those expenses. How much does your hosting cost and what are your requirements? Some of us might have suggestions on how to get similar quality hosting at a lower price.
    Hosting is only a very small part of the equation...

Hosting is only a very small part of the equation...
    I'd imagine most of the money is spent on power / equipment / food amirite

I'd imagine most of the money is spent on power / equipment / food amirite
    Plus travel for conferences, housing costs, living expenses, etc.

Also, most ads are loaded asynchronously via javascript so no it doesn't slow down the web page as it doesn't have to load the ads to load the page (and in fact it loads the page before it then loads the ad).
    Reflow problems ahoy!

I agree on improving premium / forum detection in general. Right now the forum doesn't even remember my login when I come here directly, and now I read it would prevent Kontera ads. (vbulletin not liking Opera I guess, it started after one of the forum upgrades).

Longer forum cookie expiration is a must, because right now it's easier to use adblock, than "rss->phoronix->phoronix forum/login-> phoronix" once a day (or even frequently) to see an article without ads.
    Also ads is really slowing down page loading (firefox here).