Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Of course he doesn't force anybody to pay. Because as soon as he tries (e.g. by means of a paywall) most of his readers will disappear like snow for the sun. So he has no choice but to use the ad-funded business model. That there are some people who are not interested in seeing ads, and subsequently block them, is all in the game.
    Apparently he gets enough money from ads to keep this site running, so his business model is working and I don't see why you're getting so worked up about all this.

    You don't see? Do I need it to spell it out AGAIN?

    Running a site creates costs.
    Running a forum creates costs.

    You have to cover them.

    a) pay
    b) ads

    People who block ads create costs but act to prevent creating income.

    You actively(!), willfully(!) harm the site.

    You don't want to pay nor ads? You are free to go AND NOT USE THE INTERNET. I am sure there will be many, many free, big sites left if everybody acts like you. Exactly one:

    a site made by a parasite whining around that only paysites are left.

    There is no such thing as a free meal.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    I could comment further, but you can probably make more money strip searching the couch than continuing to complain about people who don't want to buy Microsoft Windows products from a "Linux" site.
    I don't even have a couch... I spend all my extra time working or in other productive ways.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    You don't see? Do I need it to spell it out AGAIN?
    People who block ads create costs but act to prevent creating income.
    While it's true that forums cost, it's important to understand that having them adds value and that this is a value created by the users who post there. Having a forum where users conduct (hopefully) interesting discussions is likely to draw more users to the site which would increase the number of possible adclicks. So while users cost they also add value and in that respect, even a user who never clicks on ads can still prove valuable to a site. Whether or not this is true for Phoronix userbase is another matter.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    You don't see? Do I need it to spell it out AGAIN?

    Running a site creates costs.
    Running a forum creates costs.

    You have to cover them.

    a) pay
    b) ads

    People who block ads create costs but act to prevent creating income.

    You actively(!), willfully(!) harm the site.
    You are just wrong. I post in this forum, so effectively I'm generating content for phoronix. Phoronix will display my content along with ads, so phoronix is getting ad revenue from my content! This is called user generated content in the industry, and it's big business. So quit your whining already.

    You don't want to pay nor ads? You are free to go AND NOT USE THE INTERNET.
    Or I can just continue using the Internet THE WAY I LIKE IT. And you can stick your petty morals someplace where the sun don't shine

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    and you think that reading and posting in a forum does not create costs? Are you living in happy-dream-land? Is the sugar plum fairy dancing on your bed?

    You have no moral stance to complain. In fact, everybody else has good reasons to tell you and people like you:

    you are parasites killing free content.

    You are the cancer that kills the internet.

    Congratulations.
    Once again, the Internet existed long before people got the idea of advertising on websites. Advertising does not provide life to the Internet, it provides life to the corporate entities which utilize the internet.

    Should these forums go away, as well as every other HTTP based forum, the Internet would simply revert to NNTP discussions, on servers either hosted by your ISP (of which you have already paid for in your monthly fee) or on a third party server that may charge you for an account. The Internet will not die, the corporate (ab)use of the Internet would die.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't even have a couch... I spend all my extra time working or in other productive ways.
    Why don't you work something out where....

    The ads show products that the typical visitor of your site might click through and buy something from. I doubt most people here want to pay for a $2,000 Windows Server license when they came to get news about Linux.

    The ads are not 5634523453e1 by 13423523456346567775477e3

    The ads are not in Adobe Trash. If I remove Flash, am I stealing from you? Do tell.

    I'd be somewhat more sympathetic towards your argument if those conditions were met.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    You are just wrong. I post in this forum, so effectively I'm generating content for phoronix. Phoronix will display my content along with ads, so phoronix is getting ad revenue from my content! This is called user generated content in the industry, and it's big business. So quit your whining already.

    Or I can just continue using the Internet THE WAY I LIKE IT. And you can stick your petty morals someplace where the sun don't shine
    you are right here i also post stuff in the phoronix forum and i'm sure michael earn money because of this because more clicks and more side loads and more ad displayed.

    this is another way to spend money to michael

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56

    Default

    This is kinda real funny...
    Why can't people get that there are people which simply don't want to see ads at all, it distracts...
    Energyman, for instance, it tells the same a lot of times and there is smth that I can agree on, I mean - yes, site is generating costs, everything is generating costs, it's the fact of life, but that doesn't oblige me to turn off the stupid adblock for whatever reason I turned it on, what the hell. Calling them parasites is utterly stupid. How much of linux users pay for linux kernel development, a? Gnome? Epiphany? Netowkrmanager? Networkamangement plasmoid, a? Xorg, Evolution, pidgin, samba, ... Want me to go on? So please don't drive into that "gray zone", everyone is using smth at expense of smth else, most likely they don't contribute to it in any way!

    Site owner decides what to do to maintain the site, put on paywall, detect adblock and don't show content, put in some other smart technique, whatever. If someone feels this is what he'd contribute to, he's free to contribute (money, no adblock, whatever) others just use it the way it can be used. Free content is FREE content, FREEWARE is FREEWARE, use as You can/want/whatever. PERIOD.

    There are a lot of people around who doesn't know what adblock is or so, bad for them, I know it, there are a lot of people smart enough to separate content they want to see and what not. I will do it until the day I won't be able OR I would like to support that in some way.

    P.S. I have turned adblock off for this site just because I saw this post and have no reasons to turn it on again, but hey in general, I won't turn it off because I just don't want to see ADS, simple.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirurgs View Post
    This is kinda real funny...
    Why can't people get that there are people which simply don't want to see ads at all, it distracts...
    Energyman, for instance, it tells the same a lot of times and there is smth that I can agree on, I mean - yes, site is generating costs, everything is generating costs, it's the fact of life, but that doesn't oblige me to turn off the stupid adblock for whatever reason I turned it on, what the hell. Calling them parasites is utterly stupid. How much of linux users pay for linux kernel development, a? Gnome? Epiphany? Netowkrmanager? Networkamangement plasmoid, a? Xorg, Evolution, pidgin, samba, ... Want me to go on? So please don't drive into that "gray zone", everyone is using smth at expense of smth else, most likely they don't contribute to it in any way!

    Site owner decides what to do to maintain the site, put on paywall, detect adblock and don't show content, put in some other smart technique, whatever. If someone feels this is what he'd contribute to, he's free to contribute (money, no adblock, whatever) others just use it the way it can be used. Free content is FREE content, FREEWARE is FREEWARE, use as You can/want/whatever. PERIOD.

    There are a lot of people around who doesn't know what adblock is or so, bad for them, I know it, there are a lot of people smart enough to separate content they want to see and what not. I will do it until the day I won't be able OR I would like to support that in some way.

    P.S. I have turned adblock off for this site just because I saw this post and have no reasons to turn it on again, but hey in general, I won't turn it off because I just don't want to see ADS, simple.

    If you:

    Detect Adblock with a script, adblock user will block your script. This costs you more bandwidth because they have to reload pages that don't work right until they find and block the right script.

    Put up a paywall, 98% of your users will likely leave and then the 2% that came for all the user generated content that has vanished will follow them shortly.

    Accept that some users will block ads and there's nothing you can do to stop it without destroying your site, then you will always have at least a few users who come here that don't bother blocking ads that are drawn in, at least in part, by user generated content being produced by all the "parasites".

    You attack adblock users it doesn't work, you put up a paywall and you throw the baby out with the bathwater, you accept that people blocking your ads wouldn't have bought anything anyway, life goes on.

    You could take Michael's argument to the logical extreme. Anyone who views this site without buying something from clicking through an ad (which pays him nothing if you don't) is "stealing", but that just shows how absurd he is being.

    Lets apply the situation to a real world example.

    I don't like the police. The police siphon a disproportionate amount of my tax money for how much "good" they do for the community, and usually actively harass me or at the very least don't do anything that benefits me. I tolerate them because they're not going away and if they did, there would be anarchy which is slightly worse.
    Last edited by DaemonFC; 12-14-2011 at 03:10 PM.

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    ...clicking through an ad (which pays him nothing if you don't)...
    That's very incorrect. For US traffic and certain EU countries I'm paid on an impression basis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •