Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

After reading this thread, I've decided to turn off my adblock for Phoronix.com

While I don't like ads, I do enjoy reading Phoronix. Even though I rarely click on ads, if this site benefits from Ad impressions, then I feel that I can at least do that to help contribute to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That's very incorrect. For US traffic and certain EU countries I'm paid on an impression basis.
    So is uninstalling Flash "stealing" from you? I believe I've asked this once already.

Anti-adblock site owners sound more like the RIAA than people.

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    So is uninstalling Flash "stealing" from you?
    No, in that case you are still served text ads...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No, in that case you are still served text ads...
    lol i really should uninstall my flash plugin.

Default analagy

Imagine you own a store, people walk in, don't buy anything, then walk out. Do you ban them from ever coming in again? Do you make it so anyone walking in the store has to buy something? Or do you let them walk around and keep coming in, hoping that they buy something eventually? I know what I would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    lol i really should uninstall my flash plugin.
    We all should. *sigh*

I used to turn it off because all Flash did was display annoying ads.

Then someone got the idea to use it as a video player so you had to deal with it in some contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by acrazyplayer View Post
    Imagine you own a store, people walk in, don't buy anything, then walk out. Do you ban them from ever coming in again? Do you make it so anyone walking in the store has to buy something? Or do you let them walk around and keep coming in, hoping that they buy something eventually? I know what I would choose.
    That one is ridiculous.

People who choose to walk into a store are usually there because they want to make a purchase that they planned in advance. If I type in www.amazon.com, I probably want to buy something there. Advertisements are an appeal to impulse buyers.

Saying that people who don't spend their hard earned money on crap they don't need are thieves makes anyone that walks through the checkout at Walmart without buying magazines, candy bars, or "as seen on TV" crap a "thief".

A more suitable analogy to the anti-adblock argument is the people who don't buy impulse crap are "thieves" because it is what they are saying.

It is really annoying to see people arguing over such a topic...
    I spend all I can afford to support sites that I visit frequently, where this is possible. Why? I matured to hate parasitism. I even deleted my whole pirated library because of that. I believe there should be only two types of content on the net: truly free content without ads (donations acceptable) and content paid for only directly (again, no ads, pure paywall). I see no place for ad industry, as it is a parasite itself.
    Actually I got surprised recently when I wanted to renew the Phoronix subscription and it turned out to be 3-month long, not 1, so I could spend the money on other site I visit. I am sure if mr Michael had more income, he could focus on quality of articles, instead of fighting to push as much content as possible to generate the ad impressions. Maybe even hire a partner to do the testing. So instead of grumbling over quality of content - support Phoronix by buying subscriptions, tipping and sending hardware! This is the only way you can increase the quality of the site.
    And yes, I use adblock, but I am justified, as I bought the subscription. Regarding the topic itself: if this shit about allowed sites gets to stable adblock, what alternative for Chrome exists? I have to prepare myself for the change, but I don't have the time to filter through the addons database, so I hope someone already knows the good replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    We all should. *sigh*

I used to turn it off because all Flash did was display annoying ads.

Then someone got the idea to use it as a video player so you had to deal with it in some contexts.
    No, you never should have installed it. My main browser has no flash, adblock, noscript. Makes for very peaceful browsing. I do have a chrome with flash for the rare instances where it is needed, but with clive (and optionally a little helper script that pipes its output directly to mplayer) and youtube's html5 option I don't usually miss it (and hopefully sway server statistics a bit into the "no flash" direction).

Quote Originally Posted by Hirager View Post
    Regarding the topic itself: if this shit about allowed sites gets to stable adblock, what alternative for Chrome exists?
    Or you just go into the adblock options and make it block everything. The suggestion (and at this point it isn't definitely going to be included) was to let "acceptable ads" through by default, but with an option to disable that.

Well, I tend to drop my support for back-stabbers even if they have the best product available.