Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition On Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,233

    Default Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition On Linux

    Phoronix: Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition On Linux

    By now you have likely heard of the Core i7 3960X processor, which is one of the Sandy Bridge Extreme CPUs that was launched in November by Intel to much excitement and talked about quite a bit on Phoronix in the past few days. In this article is a comprehensive look at the Intel Core i7 3960X performance under Ubuntu Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16828

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    394

    Default

    I am really, really surprised how well the FX-8150 did. It seems to perform much, much better under Linux than Windows. Does anyone else notice this?

  3. #3

    Default

    It's kinda sad Intel Core i7 2600 wasn't included, as HT in it helps to gain some noticeable increases in performance.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    It's kinda sad Intel Core i7 2600 wasn't included, as HT in it helps to gain some noticeable increases in performance.
    I would have loved to include it, but those were just the modern CPUs I have in my possession...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Given that the benchmark are open and public, perhaps someone on future can make a comparison using a system with two Amd Opteron 6238 (the cost is the same as the single Intel cpu).
    Sure the ammount of power consumption should be more high but despite the lower clock i think could outperform the actual result.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alelinuxbsd View Post
    Given that the benchmark are open and public, perhaps someone on future can make a comparison using a system with two Amd Opteron 6238 (the cost is the same as the single Intel cpu).
    Sure the ammount of power consumption should be more high but despite the lower clock i think could outperform the actual result.
    True true!

    Benchmarking of sandy bridge and sandy bridge ex VS bulldozer and interlagos in categories:
    - single thread number crunching,
    - multiple thread number crunching,
    - massive multiple thread number crunching,
    - db requests

    and measuring performance, task-switching ef.(how responsible system is), power drain, core load
    on lastest nonRC kernel,

    would be 1A article!

    A lot of AMD supporters (no offence) claim that bulldozer is better at responsibility, or that interlagos, while costing same is heaps ahead.
    This is needed to be cleared out. I think not only AMD, but Intel may be interested in this. Very probably someone owning such CPUs would cooperate and participate benching via openbenchmarking benchprofile.
    There are zero articles on the web with that comparison.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    I am really, really surprised how well the FX-8150 did. It seems to perform much, much better under Linux than Windows. Does anyone else notice this?
    The Himeno benchmark result left me scratching my head though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •