Thread: 32 bit 'end of life's coming. Developers can't build firefox any longer on 32bit.

Default 32 bit 'end of life's coming. Developers can't build firefox any longer on 32bit.

the Developers hit the address space limit for a PGO-build

English news:
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1393772.html

German news:
    http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/Fir...n-1393652.html

Default They should know their limits.

Address space limit? I'm about to reach my ram limit just running this browser.

One day it'll take 10 google-bytes(amount of memory to fit whole search engine) of ram to build Firefox. Developers will have to claim Antarctica. This should be adequate for building a super computer, that's hopefully powerful enough to compile Firefox.

What are you talking about, I build my Fx every version on Gentoo box. Its x64 though, no way I try this or LibreOffice on x86-32.
    Can anyone suggest them they use PAE kernel just for building? Should work.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    What are you talking about, I build my Fx every version on Gentoo box. Its x64 though, no way I try this or LibreOffice on x86-32.
    Can anyone suggest them they use PAE kernel just for building? Should work.
    Or maybe build the 32 bit Windows version using gcc on linux instead

Now why should a linker need more than 3GB of RAM to build the executable files? Perhaps experts on linkers/loaders can shed some light on the issue

Sounds like they're doing profile-guided link time optimization. That means the linker looks at the whole source code (or some intermediate representation), and the gathered usage profiles that tell it how to optimize it. The more source you have, the more ram you need to look at all of it (and possibly they include some libraries as well in that).