Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 11.12 For Linux Is A Mixed Bag

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 11.12 For Linux Is A Mixed Bag

A new version of AMD's Catalyst Linux graphics driver is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

still the same problem from 11.11

Mplayer and VLC still cause X to crash for me on Fedora 16 with KDE. This occurs for me on my Radeon 3200HD netbook and my crossfire'd 5770s on my desktop.
    Last edited by frie2; 13 December 2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frie2 View Post
      Mplayer and VLC still cause X to crash for me on Fedora 16 with KDE.
      Dito with a Radeon 4850 (it's not restricted to KDE)

I can watch movies with totem but then I often get a sudden 'ASIC hang' after several minutes.
      Need to check this with 11.12 though.

Comment

Crap... I'll wait longer for the open source driver to mature.

Comment

lol yeah it's frustrating at this point. The open source radeon driver is so badass compared to fglrx in every way except for power management and glsl/opengl. I wouldn't have cared 2 years ago before Desura and the large number of native linux games these days.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Dito with a Radeon 4850 (it's not restricted to KDE)

I can watch movies with totem but then I often get a sudden 'ASIC hang' after several minutes.
            Need to check this with 11.12 though.
            I don't know, but for me FGLRX video acceleration works perfectly ... well only on VLC but on VLC I had no problems at all.

I'm hoping hardware-acceleration is going to work soon on Firefox also. Will try it out again tomorrow or so when the new driver lands in the Gentoo Repos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
              I don't know, but for me FGLRX video acceleration works perfectly ... well only on VLC but on VLC I had no problems at all.

I'm hoping hardware-acceleration is going to work soon on Firefox also. Will try it out again tomorrow or so when the new driver lands in the Gentoo Repos.
              What is your vlc version, hardware setup, and your linux flavor?

Comment

Really dissapointed also. After 4 months using the open source driver, i'm really considering switching back to nvidia (their driver still sucks, but at least I can use my desktop and play videos)

Comment

The video crash exists since catalyst 11.11 on X server 1.11, and affects only Xv output. Xv on 1.10 and OpenGL output reportedly works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ungoliant View Post
                    Really dissapointed also. After 4 months using the open source driver, i'm really considering switching back to nvidia (their driver still sucks, but at least I can use my desktop and play videos)
                    I used to love ATi cards. But after many hours, tweaking and whatnot a new ATI card, I announced to my wife we would save money in the form of my free time if I were to go out and purchase an NVIDIA card. I did so and my machine was working perfectly in minutes.

Now I only use Intel on HTPC and daily use machines and Nvidia on my workstation (which is a must for CUDA).

Sigh again.

Comment

Working...
                    X